Author Topic: Have You Ever Been Indexed?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Have You Ever Been Indexed?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
I think our machine has a 2.5hp motor running the servo,

It's not the HP that matters, its the torque generated from the gear reduction that sends that 1000lb carousel into space and then stops it on a dime!
Electric motors on 3 phase create gobs and gobs of torque that has to be controlled with gears and such. Look at our 'hybrid' cars.. the motors in those things are amazing.

The new M&R equip, specifically the CH III uses a Fanuc motor and belt drive from the formula's to turn the carousel.. there is no option to freewheel that baby so I'd imagine when you hit estop.. it stops dead in it's tracks. (when rich gets back from the Olympics.. I'd love to hear from him or anyone at the factory to confirm our thoughts)

When we talk about safety, think about the stuff we have in cars, all the systems now put in place to prevent accidents.. all they are really doing is taking away the focus of driving and letting us be more comfortable in the car to listen to our ipods and have plenty of places to put our large drink cup from micky d's or starfucks. Cars now will brake for you, let you know when you're driving to close and even park them selves!

Who here owns a german car.. like say a porsche or some of the older BMW's or even any European sports car that is meant to be driven, tell me how many cup holders and other attentions sucking gadgets you have at your disposal.. what you do have are all the essential controls to DRIVE the vehicle and things like radio knobs and AC controls (if you even have ac as it sucks HP from the motor that is needed to go faster) are down and to the right, even things like wiper and headlight controls are out of the way and out of eyesite as they know and realize, when you are in control of your vehicle, you are being safe.

Same goes for our equipment.. be in control and know where and how things can go wrong and you will be safe.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:27:48 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 02:27:41 PM »
You guys have seen this right?

http://youtu.be/B3FIAiJLaDw?t=2m1s

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
I think our machine has a 2.5hp motor running the servo, I don't see how it could do much damage but I'm sure it does.  I've never tried to stop it from indexing so I don't know how much force it puts out, it just doesn't seem like it would be much.  When you do hit the E stop, it goes into free wheel mode but I wonder if there is a force against it if it will still go as easily into free wheel?

Regardless the indexer is rotating a huge amount of weight. Where the center of the carriage is it may turn let's call it 10mph but all the way out at the ends of the platens it's traveling much faster. So even if the indexer is weak it's still a huge mass with inertia behind it.
"No man is an island"

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
BTW I won't even talk about being indexed by my machine that had buggy software and decided to reverse index.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
Had a great educational experience for the newer crew last week--rolling table rolls a little too close to the press, and the index smacked it hard enough to send it (and the couple cases of shirts piled out on it) several feet.
Seems like people are paying a bit more attention now.

I think John's analogy with cars is great--those are market forces at work though, right? 
As a culture, (or lack thereof,) we prefer texting, listening to the stereo, and drinking overpriced coffee--driving and paying attention to the road is just this drag you HAVE to deal with to get from point A to point B.

Who wants to waste time and money training a pressman on safety, or teaching them some common sense practices for dealing with machinery?
"This is idiot proof--here's how you load, here's how you unload, now don't stop the press till break time..."

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 03:33:27 PM »

for a brief second I thought it was going to end like that 1970's lathe and tooling safety training video i watched once.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »

for a brief second I thought it was going to end like that 1970's lathe and tooling safety training video i watched once.

Yeah, that was a great job of queuing up there Chris!

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »

It's not the HP that matters, its the torque generated from the gear reduction that sends that 1000lb carousel into space and then stops it on a dime!
Electric motors on 3 phase create gobs and gobs of torque that has to be controlled with gears and such. Look at our 'hybrid' cars.. the motors in those things are amazing.

The new M&R equip, specifically the CH III uses a Fanuc motor and belt drive from the formula's to turn the carousel.. there is no option to freewheel that baby so I'd imagine when you hit estop.. it stops dead in it's tracks. (when rich gets back from the Olympics.. I'd love to hear from him or anyone at the factory to confirm our thoughts)

When we talk about safety, think about the stuff we have in cars, all the systems now put in place to prevent accidents.. all they are really doing is taking away the focus of driving and letting us be more comfortable in the car to listen to our ipods and have plenty of places to put our large drink cup from micky d's or starfucks. Cars now will brake for you, let you know when you're driving to close and even park them selves!

Who here owns a german car.. like say a porsche or some of the older BMW's or even any European sports car that is meant to be driven, tell me how many cup holders and other attentions sucking gadgets you have at your disposal.. what you do have are all the essential controls to DRIVE the vehicle and things like radio knobs and AC controls (if you even have ac as it sucks HP from the motor that is needed to go faster) are down and to the right, even things like wiper and headlight controls are out of the way and out of eyesite as they know and realize, when you are in control of your vehicle, you are being safe.

Same goes for our equipment.. be in control and know where and how things can go wrong and you will be safe.
The servo system on the Challenger 3 is a Mitsubisi system and when the emergency button is pushed stops immediately . The gear ratio on the planetary gearbox allows for manual rotation when the emergency stop is activated. You can manually push the pallets but it has a lot of drag on it. There will be a new safety system,actually three different types displayed at the SGAI show on the Challenger 3D.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »

Yeah, that was a great job of queuing up there Chris!

It's not a fair comparison as the digotex uses tiny little independent drive ac motors on each arm racing around on a track so this is not a difficult feature to add on due to that brilliant design.  But, it's definitely the safest (and smartest) machine I've ever seen due to this feature.

For the rest, I really feel like SOP is paramount.  Lasers, bars, cables and gates all help sure but it's all about your protocol.  Like rock climbing- you're hanging yourself by your fingertips thousands of feet in the air with nothing but some cams and nuts jammed into rock cracks with rope threaded through it to save you if you slip and yet it's a safer activity than the drive to get there.  Why?  Because you have a system and you stick to it no matter what

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 05:25:53 PM »
BTW I won't even talk about being indexed by my machine that had buggy software and decided to reverse index.

Speechless at this.  I would not have kept my cool if a machine did that in our shop. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
The servo system on the Challenger 3 is a Mitsubisi system and when the emergency button is pushed stops immediately . The gear ratio on the planetary gearbox allows for manual rotation when the emergency stop is activated. You can manually push the pallets but it has a lot of drag on it. There will be a new safety system,actually three different types displayed at the SGAI show on the Challenger 3D.

THANK YOU RICH!!

If things work the way I hope.. I'll see you at the show to check out the new features.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:38:53 PM by jsheridan »

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »

Gotta see that, I will be at the SGIA show!  Can't wait.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:44 AM »
I've done any number of incredibly stupid things, but not this one. I just don't trust anything anymore, turn the damn power off first.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Ksports

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
Then there is the infamous Winterland story where an op got his head crushed on a hydraulic oval operating with the safety bypassed. Sadly he died instantly. Afterward they caged off all the machines with a deadmans switch so that you could not work on the business end of the machine without the power being turned off.
Life is like a box of rocks you always know what your going to get.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »
The servo system on the Challenger 3 is a Mitsubisi system and when the emergency button is pushed stops immediately . The gear ratio on the planetary gearbox allows for manual rotation when the emergency stop is activated.

Shouldn't the capture fork break to stop the machine from killing someone?   ;)
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?