Author Topic: Can I fit a Youth XS on a 16" pallet?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Can I fit a Youth XS on a 16" pallet?
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
Wondering if anyone has ever fit a Youth XS (Gildan 5000) onto a 16" pallet.  The measurements are listed at 14" but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it before.  It would only be 10 shirts as part of a larger order - 1C front and back.
We don't have a set of youth pallets yet or I would just use those  ;)
Scott
Head North Printing
www.headnorthprinting.com

Offline prozyan

Re: Can I fit a Youth XS on a 16" pallet?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »
Gildan, yes, but it will be tight. 
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »
we just lay the shirt on the platen for 1 color prints, no need to try and stretch it out. but if I remember correctly, they can fit but the print distorts terribly. one color = one stroke = no problem.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »
Star small at least get one youth palette!

"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
Get a youth pallet. We print down to youth medium on a 16" pallet, and can get a small on there, but an XS will stretch a lot, and when you take it off the press it will be quite distorted. Our youth pallets are 10"...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
It's for the new auto so I was trying to avoid buying a full set, since we hardly ever do youth prints, but maybe I can get one here in time - it's about a 3 day rush order.

Follow up question - is there a "standard" size for a youth left breast print?  Shirts will range from Youth XS - XL
Scott
Head North Printing
www.headnorthprinting.com

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:58 AM »
I have 15" manual pallets, I can do Youth S on them, but I do not think that I could do XS.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
we have 5 youth pallets (we double index when printing on those). In this case if you purchased one, you could make two stacks of shirts. One with XS and one with the rest. Feed the shirts normally and when the youth platten comes around put the XS on it. THis way you can keep printing without doubling back.

pierre

p.s. as others said, you'll have to stretch it a lot to make it fit, but yes, it can be done.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
we have 5 youth pallets (we double index when printing on those). In this case if you purchased one, you could make two stacks of shirts. One with XS and one with the rest. Feed the shirts normally and when the youth platten comes around put the XS on it. THis way you can keep printing without doubling back.

pierre

p.s. as others said, you'll have to stretch it a lot to make it fit, but yes, it can be done.

Very out of the box Pierre... I like it!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
This brings up the whole deal about Gildan youth sizes.

I advise all who use them to make sure that their clients know what they are getting because by most standards, the sizing is not even close to industry standard.
They can be huge! (I'm told that they are "retail" sizing, which is aimed at the optimistic moms of obese kids in Walmart)
With normal sized shirts (Hanes,Jerzee,Friut,Anvil,Port), I fit down to youth medium on a 15" adult board.
Bottom line, it is quite possible that a client will be unhappy with the Gildan youth sizing if they are unaware of this aberration!
Then again if their kids are overwieght.

This also brings up the issue of design size when mixing adult and youth. One is limited to the size of the smallest shirt (board).

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
This brings up the whole deal about Gildan youth sizes.

I advise all who use them to make sure that their clients know what they are getting because by most standards, the sizing is not even close to industry standard.
They can be huge! (I'm told that they are "retail" sizing, which is aimed at the optimistic moms of obese kids in Walmart)
With normal sized shirts (Hanes,Jerzee,Friut,Anvil,Port), I fit down to youth medium on a 15" adult board.
Bottom line, it is quite possible that a client will be unhappy with the Gildan youth sizing if they are unaware of this aberration!
Then again if their kids are overwieght.

This also brings up the issue of design size when mixing adult and youth. One is limited to the size of the smallest shirt (board).

Ditto! Gildans run a size larger. This can be a plus or a minus as Frog said. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline prozyan

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Gildan XS are freakin' huge, I think they are larger than other brand YS, which is why I said they would fit on the pallet.  I don't think its a coincidence that Gildan offers a separate line of "toddler" shirts.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
Another thought.
Remember too, when going by product dimensions, that on most presses, besides the actual width of the board, there is the arm and bracket which can considerably add to the "stretch"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
We do it all the time, it doesn't distort anything either, but we probably do mostly Gildan's in that size.  We don't have to stretch much at all because of the low profile underneath the pallet.  There isn't much down there to get in the way.  It's actually harder to put an xs on our vastex adult pallets, 15", than our auto's 16" pallet, all because of what's underneath the pallet.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »
It's for the new auto so I was trying to avoid buying a full set, since we hardly ever do youth prints, but maybe I can get one here in time - it's about a 3 day rush order.

Follow up question - is there a "standard" size for a youth left breast print?  Shirts will range from Youth XS - XL

Youth pallets are also good for those skinny ladies garments...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't