screen printing > Ink and Chemicals

Ink for zippo lighters?

(1/1)

yorkie:
I'm wanting to customize some zippo lighters. I fear that the wrong ink/paint would have quick and catastrophic failure. Any ideas?

woodrow:
I printed some Crankcase covers for the Missouri Mules M/C club and I used the Enamel plus 59000 series inks,(Nazdar) they have several colors. It's an air dry enamel and the best part is if you make a mistake you can wipe it off and start over. I made a jig to hold the covers to print and used a clear overprint to finish them which had to be heat and scuff resistant. They were very pleased with the results!

Sbrem:
We use baking epoxy inks for metals, NazDar something, I forget which. You have to grind it off. Something to remember, my Zippos from the factory eventually chip too...

Steve

blue moon:
my thinking would be engrave it if possible. . . I know, not the answer you were looking for, but would be more durable than ink.

yorkie:

--- Quote from: blue moon on May 23, 2011, 11:47:46 AM ---my thinking would be engrave it if possible. . . I know, not the answer you were looking for, but would be more durable than ink.

--- End quote ---

Another thing I'm investigating is to use a blasting resist and selectively blast off the chrome to reveal the metal underneath. Last week i blasted the chrome off the bottom of a lighter and am watching the patina which is forming. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version