Author Topic: Race Question  (Read 8148 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Race Question
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:15 PM »
mY bad I,m trying take credit for everthing LOL well atleast Eli was looking out for poor black folks

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
actually, if you read the wiki article, the cotton gin caused a boom in slavery because cotton became profitable to grow.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
I know quite a few black owned screen printing shops.... 10 off the top of my head, but I know there are many more. I have done service work for at least 6 or more of them. Many of them tend to be south of I20, but not just in the city... Quite a few are south of 285 in the styx... 
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
Daryll I think things are different in different areas of the country. Up here in CT people are not surprised or shocked or whatever about black or tan owned businesses. It's common to see it. We are probably a lot self segregated than areas in the south, I lived in a few other areas of this country and my part of the world seems to be more of a mixing pot than other areas. 
"No man is an island"

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
We are probably a lot self segregated than areas in the south

I would agree with that...
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »
Inkman I use to live in Mass so I know what you mean, my parents still live in Springfield Mass, I guess living in the deep south is a little different its cool though.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline starchild

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
I just really wanted to know if I was the only black printer on this broad just incase Obama loose LOL.

Hey I resemble that question!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »
There are a ton of Brazilian, Spanish and Black owned businesses here in Mass, though I don't know of one who owns a t-shirt shop. That doesn't mean they aren't there, I just haven't met any. We do a pretty good business with the Brazilian community here between churches and small business owners. I wouldn't say racism is dead around here, but it is quite a melting pot. For myself, I don't care what color a person is, as long as long as he/she isn't a jerk, or some more colorful word.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »
Maybe they are all too smart to own a shirt place. ;)

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
one of my favorites is I don't care what color you are as long as your money is green....

but Brad...I think you are right...maybe they are smarter by NOT starting a screenprinting business....ahahhahahaha

Sam

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
Brad,  its something I never really thought about as I just talk with Sam about it, until we had some customers come in and thought it was amazing that we owned and did all the work here...I could care less who print my shirts no more than I care who cooked my burger at MickeyDs', was just curious is all.

Darryl
I've got the same problem.  They walk in can't believe that we own and operate our business.....and I am white.  I guess maybe I should comb my hair and quit wearing my robe and fuzzy bunny slippers when I am working.

Seriously,  I can't believe that in this day and time people are still surprised that black people can own and operate a business.  People really need to get our more often and take the blinders off.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »
In my area,  you'd be hard pressed to find a black guy with a JOB let alone owning a business. . .welcome to Buffalo.

I don't care about color -one damn bit- I only care if you are smart enough to help yourself and make sh*t happen.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
Here's one of the dudes here in Rochester. He use to be a customer of mine. Not sure how he manages with that 4 foot dryer but he's doing it.

Jayarr Customs - 585 strong
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:08:23 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline mavgraph

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »
I've seen one black-owned shop in Maine and some down South, but no too many in the Midwest or Northeast. Of course in my eyes, the only color I see is green ($$) Do they pay you. anything else doesn't matter.
Brad
Maverick Graphic Supply 877-MAVERIK brad@maverickgraphicsupply.com
www.maverickgraphicsupply.com
Your #1 Choice For Inkjet and Laser Film
Adopt a Beagle! www.brewbeagles.org

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 09:25:24 AM »
People think we are 100% Hispanic but I'm half Filipino half white and my wife is half Hispanic and half white. So I guess we are 50% minority owned.

If your wife owns the business then you guys are 100% minority owned (women are considered a minority as business owners... hence my recent shout box discussion).

But, back on topic.  I bought my dryer from a black owned print business in New Orleans.  He was getting out of the business to focus more on his air brushing... so he's still sort of in the biz.

I think there is one in town but I'm stereotyping based on their location and that some of the local "mens groups" in my neighborhood have all taken their business there.  I'm not upset by this one bit as now I don't get that Thursday phone call "hey, you wanna print some shirts?"  "Yeah, when do you need them by"   "oh, at least by the weekend"... "uhh, no."

Just spoke to one of the (ex)members yesterday as I was coming out of a restaurant and he was telling me how he got out of the group because they were so unorganized and didn't feel like they were heading in the right direction.  Then he said he was gonna send me some "more" business.  I told him to make sure they don't do that last minute sh!t because I ain't doing that.

Speaking of that restaurant, another guy in town that does printing and mostly embroidery is from Honduras.  Super awesome guy (he's the guy I repo'd that lease from), he owns several things, ice cream truck business, he had a restaurant but they got broken in to and wiped out so he shut it down.  Anyway, that's a tight community there, I think he does the shirts for EVERY mexican restaurant in town.  I'd never try to snipe his business anyway because of mutual respect but I doubt I could even if I tried.