Author Topic: sublimation printer  (Read 1010 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
sublimation printer
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
Well I am going to order the ricoh 3110 tomorrow, even though its smaller (8.5x14) I think it will give me a good idea of demand and if need be I can up size from there.
 Here is why I am getting it:
1 I have been doing more poly sports wear 90% lighter colors.
2. I have a demand for little things like can coozies key fobs and mugs.
3. Have you seen the mark up on plaques?
4. For the people every holiday that call and want a picture of little Timmy on a shirt.
5. One offs I turn away 5-10 people a  month looking for one or two shirts 4 color or more.
6. I already have a heat press so its only a $500.00 dollar investment.
 7. I think it can help me bring in more business, I figure I can design and market a package to local businesses with their logo already on it, I found when I did this in one color it was a pretty good return I would think full color would be a better return.
I need to spend more time getting leads and sales, and less time printing I think this can help.

Anyone doing sublimation? Any pointers?
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: sublimation printer
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
Valley Litho has a promo going for that printer. I'm not sure if it's on the website yet as I got it in the mail.

Tip#1 get some heat tape

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:07:20 PM »
We have the Epson Workhorse 1100 and it's a great little printer.  I think it will give you a larger print area than the Ricoh and I have read more than a few poor reviews on another forum.  I just looked it up and the Epson will print much larger areas, 13x19 versus the Ricoh's 8.5x14.  I think you can find the 1100 for around the same price.  If it were me, I'd go with the Epson but it seems like you've done your research and may have plenty of info on the ricoh.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:10:54 AM »
Yeah everyone is saying the epsons clog easy, do you find that to be true? That really is the main reason I was going with the ricoh. I have a 1400 for my films and love it no issues.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
If the Ricoh uses the gel inks, then clogging will not be an issue.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »
Ours hasn't clogged yet, the guy who does our sublimation is pretty good about keeping up with it, but we don't use it all that often.  It might go a week or two without being used and he never has any issues with the printer.  We had clogging issues on the 4800, but I think that had more to do with the age and the super cheap ass sub inks I found.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »
Well I pulled the trigger on the ricoh a ton of blanks a second press and all the fixings.  I have a Guy that does trophies who will be ordering all the name plates from me so that is cool. I figure if the printer sucks its cheap enough to get something else. I put a lot of weight on info and recommendations from sawgrass folks  and suppliers selling both printers. Hope i picked the right one

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:42 PM »
Just started to receive some stuff, second heat press, a ton of blanks ink now just need the printer
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com