Author Topic: One Hit White -- the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 15072 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: One Hit White -- the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »
Women are said to be better printers because they finesse things more. Men are brutes and we tend to muscle things.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
I'm a pretty dainty guy. ;)

She is an artist and I am a technician so there definitely could be something to that... I just don't like to get dirty... I'm a clean printer... my guy that I have printing has been dirtier in the 3 days that he's been printing than all the days I have been printing combined!

His second day I said "ok, our goal today is to keep our hands clean and watch the squeegees for build up.  This will help you print faster because you will spend less time having to check your hands every print and cleaning them."

His shirt at the end of the day looked like one my shirts I use to wipe down screens... I had him send his shirt down the dryer to minimize contamination. :)

He is getting better though.  One of his problems on that second day was some douche nut ;)  sold me some fancy pants squeegees that aren't worth a d@mn! ;)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:59 AM »
If Newman made it has to be good, right?  ::)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
Maybe he needs to bless my hands (and the hands of my printer). ;)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 12:49:16 AM »
You'll get it once you make the trip. I think your mind will be blown.

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »
Alan, my print carriage speed was turned up as fast as it will go. I believe that it used to go faster than it does now, and I'm not sure how to check for that problem (if it even exists or is just in my head). I've been pushing hard to get my guys to print at high speed lately. We rarely rarely rarely print at a slow speed. It just never works correctly.

Gilligan, come up to my shop one day and I'll show you some stuff. I'm not saying I'm an expert by any means but I'll share what I know and vice versa. I'll get you hooked on retensionable frames.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:23 AM »
Thanks for that invite Tance... as I said in my PM... I got family close to you so we might just have to do that.

I did go to Alan's last week and I will tell you guys what.

I have seen one hit whites with my own eyes and it can be done, and it can be done RIGHT!  These looked GREAT, not halfassed at all!

Even further to the point that even my lame a$$ was able to do a 95% one hit white that looked better than ANYTHING I had EVER printed.  This was white on red 50/50's that Alan had laying around.  This visit to Alan's just stepped my game up by a HUGE bit!  My eyes were opened REALLY wide!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
Digging this guy up from the grave as my post doesn't warrant a new thread.

If one can do a one hit white then isn't it feasible to be able to do a one hit Pink or Turquoise?  I'm pretty sure we've done a PFP Turquoise on black and it looks great... is it just because this particular ink has enough opacity or am I not realizing how much this COULD "pop" if I underbased it with white?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
Boils down to opacity and rheology.  With a pc system, you can mix colors at max pigment load and use the base with the right rheological properties and do one hit whatevers just like one hit whites. 

The tough part is the rheology in my opinion- you can max out the pigment load, but each color pigment has it's own shape/structure that effects flow and clearance through the screen and lord knows what else.  You introduce that unique shape into any base you add the pigment to and with it a whole new set of variables.   With a good, consistently made white ink, you know exactly how it's going to behave every time and can go for the one hits with more confidence.

(keep in mind the biggest downside of going for a one hit and missing is that you can't just p/f/p that print or use the one hit screen as a second screen b/c it would likely be way too much ink. And we all know that double stroking a screen with that kind of eom + open area typically makes a mess.   So, you need to re-setup the whole thing in many cases...or surprise your client with a "high definition" print, on the house of course.)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
Many pinks in particular relies heavily on it's background to display it's color. Not unlike neon green, royal blue, and
a few others. Really needs a white background to look right.

Now a cotton candy pink with a lot of white can likely be P/F/P and opacity achieved, not unlike many pastels.