Author Topic: Grand List of Emulsions, exposure times and opinions/details!  (Read 17196 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Ok, so the topic is wishful thinking.  But here are my thoughts.  If everyone could dump in all the emulsion they have tried out and their exposure times and EOM (even if estimated) screens put on, exposure unit wattage/type/model and such I will compile it all into a spreadsheet that HOPEFULLY with a little math magic allow us to see how one emulsion stacks up to another.

Even if Joe Blow has only used Chromaline Chroma Blue and Ulano Orange (hot topic right now)... if they feel that they had a consistent EOM and document their exposure times then I SHOULD be able to do some "extrapolating" with Billy Bob that used Ulano Orange and QTX and WR-25 and come to some COMMON ground variable made up estimated exposure time as well as other data associated with it.

Certainly it wouldn't be definitive or rock solid or anything... but it would be interesting to look at and compare and I don't mind doing the data collecting and math.

Also give your opinion on the product and it's strengths, weaknesses, and such (don't forget how you used it... WB, Discharge, Plastisol, Solvent).

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Grand List of Emulsions, exposure times and opinions/details!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:27:16 AM »
I've made it slightly easier by creating a template to start adding data to on Google Docs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgdPJ7c6eSh6dFZ4bVBSTFVXZzZ5eFNvX3JyVk9vQ0E

Lets use and not abuse this please, I'd hate to have to lock this down and start granting permission.

Remember Light Units is kind of a relative term due to calibration.  I know time is as well (due to bulb life and such)... but it can be a TINY bit easier to extrapolate or cross reference between different users and emulsions if we have a common variable (time).  I do like those that have put both LU's and Time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:33:03 PM by Gilligan »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:57:47 AM »
We got a few on the list so far.

I think there is definitely some interest in this... even if some of you more experienced shops don't see the use for yourself try to realize how much benefit it will bring for all the other users and to our community here.  Please lend your experiences and pitch in what you can.  You guys will be able to provide the most useful information.

Thanks to everyone participating and thanks in advance to all those that are going to participate!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »
I just added some of our info (and the mesh count column). Good idea, will help many!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »
Just saw this, I have been trying several different emulsions as of late. I will add some this week when things get slower, great idea very useful

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
I will work on ours and post the results.  I am reworking all of our exposure times and I will measure EOM for each mesh count.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
Excellent.

I also just added to the "Method" column that we should probably be at least noting if we are using the round or sharp edge to coat with.  That way it will be a little easier to "assume" some sort of EOM from the info given.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
Also, I think it would be wise to not only have the exposure unit, but the wattage as well.  I don't know what a lot of these machines have...also, mine has a high and low setting, 2,000 or 7,500.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
Also, I think it would be wise to not only have the exposure unit, but the wattage as well.  I don't know what a lot of these machines have...also, mine has a high and low setting, 2,000 or 7,500.

Added that to the header, hopefully people that have those options will comply.

So far this looks pretty active and looks like everyone is playing nicely... I guess we all realize the benefit to the project.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
i added what the screen guy has written down - i believe that all our coats are 2:2  - if i find out different, i will change the value.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
i added what the screen guy has written down - i believe that all our coats are 2:2  - if i find out different, i will change the value.

Hey could you time out one of your burns so we can estimate what the light unit numbers represent for your exposure unit?

Also how do you like the emulsion?  Obviously you keep using it so you must like it... just curious though.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
i can time it out - obviously with the integrator its going to change a week from now or in a month when we put in a new bulb... 

the screen guy seems to think that one light unit = 30 sec.

the emulsion seems to be working for us - we used 100 gallons last year.

for the occasional discharge job we use Plus 8000, but have been trying others - Nazdar sent us three quarts to try, and so far they have been holding up better than the Plus 8000.

i also dont know the EOM - dont have any measuring tools

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »
It's hump day... or in this case "bump day".

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
Bumping this sucker for a little more love to the "database"!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »
I haven't contributed anything yet, I should get a shot at it tomorrow.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.