Author Topic: screens popping  (Read 4173 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: screens popping
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
you need to look at everything that contacts the mesh. For example you could have a scrub pad that has a piece of hardened emulsion or gunk or junk that is damaging the threads. What ever it is (if you have not changed chemicals or process) is mechanical.
The odds of busting that many screens in a instant bang way.... in my mind.... points to a mechanical upset commonality.
In short look for something in your process that is scratching your screens or damaging the mesh while handling, stacking, sliding in a rack etc.
Please let us know what you find as the bad actor .
mooseman 
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »
you need to look at everything that contacts the mesh. For example you could have a scrub pad that has a piece of hardened emulsion or gunk or junk that is damaging the threads. What ever it is (if you have not changed chemicals or process) is mechanical.
The odds of busting that many screens in a instant bang way.... in my mind.... points to a mechanical upset commonality.
In short look for something in your process that is scratching your screens or damaging the mesh while handling, stacking, sliding in a rack etc.
Please let us know what you find as the bad actor .
mooseman

mooseman, I think Greg solved the issue. Eric is using the haze remover which is eating away the mesh. . . It is possible he has a problem with some of the stuff you mentioned too though.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong, if you can get away from caustic it's a great idea, but if you're popping screens that quickly, I seriously doubt that's all there is to your problem. 

As far as staining goes--have you found it to affect your exposures?  Are setups harder?  Tried just ignoring it?   ;D

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »
Thanks Sonny!

we use only panels here...and they either rip on the side under the tape, or right in the middle, mid press. (this particular one, i think had some debris on the screen, which caused it to drag.)

Mesh rips right up the middle, mid-press run, check your flood bars for burrs, AKA "meathooks, even if you don't see/feel a meathook always dress the edge of that flood blade with a 3M scotchbrite pad before another use.

Also when you have this problem, NEVER scoop that ink back into the original container because if the problem has to do with chunks or debris of some sort the problem will re-appear next week.

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050