Author Topic: Good emulsion for waterbase, discharge, and plastisol  (Read 1921 times)

Offline mjrprint

Good emulsion for waterbase, discharge, and plastisol
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »
We are going to start printing more waterbase/discharge and I was wondering if there were any recommendations for a good all around emulsion. We do small runs typically between 48-144 pieces. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Good emulsion for waterbase, discharge, and plastisol
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »
We are going to start printing more waterbase/discharge and I was wondering if there were any recommendations for a good all around emulsion. We do small runs typically between 48-144 pieces. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have had good results with Aquasol HV. We also just tried Ulanos 925 wr and that held up really well with no complaints. Most of our WB is under 1000 pcs.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
happy with aquasol hvp here. matsui wb inks cannot seem to put a dent in it.  our wb flatstock inks do stress it out on longer runs using very thin stencils but it still does not break down, only gets a little damp/tacky on the substrate side. (which sucks for printing on paper)

can anyone speak for this emulsions discharge performance though?

I do keep diazo for it on hand that, soon as I catch a minute, I'm going to start using.  although hv is a pure photo polymer the diazo strengthens it's water resistance.   the reclaimable hardener is probably a good idea too.

however the best practice with any emulsion for wb starts with a dry fresh screen, full exposure, complete drying again and a thorough post exposure. you probably know that part already.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
happy with aquasol hvp here. matsui wb inks cannot seem to put a dent in it.  our wb flatstock inks do stress it out on longer runs using very thin stencils but it still does not break down, only gets a little damp/tacky on the substrate side. (which sucks for printing on paper)

I do keep diazo for it on hand that, soon as I catch a minute, I'm going to start using.  although hv is a pure photo polymer the diazo strengthens it's water resistance.   the reclaimable hardener is probably a good idea too.

however the best practice with any emulsion for wb starts with a dry fresh screen, full exposure, complete drying again and a thorough post exposure. you probably know that part already.

Aquasol, in my opinion, does not hold up well for prints over 100 with waterbase or discharge.  I have lost dots and pieces of designs in the 75 piece range.  That being said, I purchased some Murakami Hardener MS which is reclaimable and it is wonderful.  Just spread some on the squeegee side of the screen with a paper towel and blow out the design with compressed air, let it dry for a few minutes, and print.

No tacky emulsion, no worrying.

All that being said, I have a sample gallon of Kiwo Discharge/One Coat that I'm going to start testing soon for solids content, exposure properties, and wb durability.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
There are many but sufffice to say if an emulsion can handle the rigors of waterbase than it will hold up to plastsiol. Currently I am using CCI WR925 and I use a hardener

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
Tony, isn't the 925 WR the old standard from Ulano. The CCI is TX, I thought.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »
Tony added the 9 in there.

CCI is WR-25
Ulano is 925WR

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:45:48 PM »

Aquasol, in my opinion, does not hold up well for prints over 100 with waterbase or discharge.  I have lost dots and pieces of designs in the 75 piece range.  That being said, I purchased some Murakami Hardener MS which is reclaimable and it is wonderful.  Just spread some on the squeegee side of the screen with a paper towel and blow out the design with compressed air, let it dry for a few minutes, and print.

No tacky emulsion, no worrying.

All that being said, I have a sample gallon of Kiwo Discharge/One Coat that I'm going to start testing soon for solids content, exposure properties, and wb durability.

Dont wast your time with the Kiwo. Even with hardener I could not get that crap to last.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »
The kiwo is working great for me, guess all shops are different.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"