Author Topic: Any Competition Shooters?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
Re: Any Competition Shooters?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
I shot a BT99 a couple of weeks ago.  Didn't care much for it, felt heavy and was only single shot which makes doubles very challenging.  Then i was handed a 725  --WOW  -- time to sell the boat.  Mostly shooting trap with an old model 12 Winchester.  Just got the Sako .243 out of the shop and am in the process of getting it dialed in  - groundhogs beware.

Personally i like the o/u with a little longer barrel for trap.  I've got a pair of Lightnings (Browning) and the 26" and 28" barrels don't have quite enough reach for the trap range although they're fantastic skeet guns.  Also shooting Winchester AA 1 1/8 load with 3dr equiv - 7 1/2 or 8 shot for trap and there's currently a $20/flat rebate.
steve

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
Sam, do you carry that M&P?  If so how do you like it.  Seems a bit heavy for a carry to me.

I was all set on a Taurus Millennium (40c), I know "boooo", but you can't beat the size and weight... then I held it back to back with a P4Storm (compact... not sub) and had a hard time decerning the extra weight but on paper the p4 shows to be a ton heavier.

I still can't figure out what I want to carry.  I was hoping I would like the PT740 slim but I hate the grip.  Maybe I should look at grip options for the 740 *shrug*.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
i carry the M&P .40 compact most of the time...i also carry the bodyguard which is awesome....

sam

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
Concealed or open carry?

Do you find the M&P bulky or heavy?

I really dig the M&P and it was my VERY close 2nd choice when I bought the XDm 40 and now that I'm doing it all over again I'm thinking I might rather the M&P (not that the XDm wasn't the bee's knees... but I want a manual safety.)

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
Wife and I are sporting clays. d class. was c but lost a year starting business.
Also pistol, but not competitive.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 08:09:56 PM »
I love the safety features on the SA's, and it is a huge factor with the wife letting me keep it more accessible.  She didn't want the gun inside the house before but I gave her the old sales pitch about the safety features.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
I always carry concealled and you would never know i had it...also the only safety feature is your finger....i have seen guns go off with the safety on...such a false sense of security....

i have comp-tec inside waistband holser...so awesome...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
I always carry concealled and you would never know i had it...also the only safety feature is your finger....i have seen guns go off with the safety on...such a false sense of security....

i have comp-tec inside waistband holser...so awesome...

I'll make sure to pass that info on to the two year old.  ::)

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
unlike you Gilligan...I always know where my weapons are and they are NOWHERE around a 2 yr old....

where I live if I did what you did I would be in jail and quite honestly you give gun owners a bad name, but not controlling your weapons...

but then again that is just how I feel....

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
*shrug*  They were in my house... if items aren't secure/safe in my house then I'm not sure why I'm sleeping there at night.

Someone betrayed my trust.  I guess if you have a friend that betrays your trust then that is your fault?  I'm all about Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  But this was the fool me once part. Sorry, I don't take the rap for that.

My daughter can work an iPad and an Android phone probably better than you can... No place is safe from her I fear.

The more levels of protection from her having an accident with my gun the better.  If I have a FNX-40 with it decocked and the manual safety on, now she has to disable the safety (I'm certain she might do that) AND now pull a 10lb trigger... that part I bet she can't do.  As opposed to my friend's Glock 19 I'm wearing right now... all she needs to do is pull a rather light trigger and it goes bang.  So far she has shown ZERO interest in the guns except the pink ones at the store which is why my wife, as much as she wants one, will not get a pink "pretty" gun.  We do what we can, but we can't do it all.  Mistakes happen, putting that potential mistake as many layers away from her as I can the better.

I could also be the best/safest driver in the world and obey all safety rules and guidelines while driving my car... that doesn't mean I'm not going to put her in her car seat REAR facing until she is too big to be rear facing any longer.  I can't control every facet of every moment of every day of my and hers.  So I layout as safe of a foundation as I can for her safety.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »
With having 2 kids I found its best to get them involved with guns at an early age, at 7 they got the bb guns at nine the 22/410 at 12 the 380. It teaches a healthy respect and takes the mistery out of it. All guns have trigger locks other then the ones in the safe. Kids will play with guns if you dont show them how much respect they need to have for them.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
ABSOLUTELY... I was taught that myself, the only part I would say that was lacking in that for me was access to pistols.  I had shotguns and bb guns in my hands anytime I wanted without even asking and I was always very careful.  But we didn't have many pistols and they were more of an allure and something I wanted to play with.

My father never let me use his pistol so I eventually borrowed it without his permission to "play with", did the same with another friend's father's pistol.  Nothing bad happened as we were still careful, but it shouldn't have been like that.

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »
i carry the M&P .40 compact most of the time...i also carry the bodyguard which is awesome....

sam
The bodygaurd is a great gun to carry. To bad we can't in IL.
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com