Author Topic: I am AMAZINGLY bad at coating screens  (Read 19616 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: I am AMAZINGLY bad at coating screens
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
What is an entry level coater run nowadays? I know the longer I wait the better.

I figure about $8/hr should do it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »
What is an entry level coater run nowadays? I know the longer I wait the better.

LOL I shoulda seen that coming.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 12:16:24 AM »
One of those clampy jobbers is in this handy dandy chromaline video, http://youtu.be/SRVASoNCOcQ The first time I saw it, it didn't have terrible music over the top of what he was saying.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 12:21:31 AM »
That is similar but the one I saw actually had a swivel on it which was pretty cool.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 12:52:29 AM »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
Well, I like 1 handed coating, but if I had a mind to use 2 hands, that looks like an easy DIY project.

Just sayin'
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
Well, I like 1 handed coating, but if I had a mind to use 2 hands, that looks like an easy DIY project.

Just sayin'
Absoluetly, I am just try this one.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »

:D

Offline starchild

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:08 AM »
Here it is! Took me about an hour though.
[url http://www.lawsonsp.com/lawson-equipment/pre-press/roto-coat-holder]http://www.lawsonsp.com/lawson-equipment/pre-press/roto-coat-holder[/url]

You can also find it here http://acescreensupply.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=16&products_id=284
It's called the EZ Coater 360.

I guess some T-Slot extrusions for non welders will make it much more affordable tool for the shop.. Grainger for the gas shocks if you decide you prefer the one in the chromaline vid.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:09 AM »
Cool thanks

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »
FYI, I'm still amazingly bad at coating screens.

It's MUCH better as far as not having drips where the emulsion was oozing out of the edges because I was a dumbass and didn't know how to "work" a scoop coater. ;)

Still uneven and other oddities.

I'm having an issue where it will be really thick along the edge of the coater (3" from each side)... do I need to push hard to make the screen stretch out or am I pressing too hard and causing a "valley" in my screen as it coats?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
Its so hard to describe pressure but yes I would say quite a bit of pressure. You may even hear the popping of the mesh, at least on the edges of static frames.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
Little more pressure Gilly and that should help even things out.  As you get better at it you will be able to reduce the pressure a tad but not much.  I've taught a few people how to coat recently and they have to use more pressure than I do but they usually start getting decent screens after doing 25-40 screens.  If you've coated a lot more than that and you're still bad, we might have a problem somewhere that we need to fix.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »

for what it is worth have a look
mooseman

coating screens #2 DSCF0803.AVI

Mooseman,  I just read this for the firs time and love your vid. Well spoken and clear to understand. This is what makes this place so great and you're a great contributor. Thanks!!!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
No Alan... I've only coated a few screens and these 9 were the first ones I've done "the right way" so I guess I still have a few more to go through before I can start to panic. ;)

Still don't know if I should try two hands or if I need a contraption like Gerry was looking for.