Author Topic: Moving in next door to a small time screen printer  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Clark

Re: Moving in next door to a small time screen printer
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »
I had considered just leasing an office, but I'd need somebody there full time, while I am back at the shop handling production...That cost would far outweigh the price of having one location to do it all.  Also, my shop is behind my house, and I have 2 screaming 3 y.o. that can undo the gate and get into my office (in the house) several times a day. And lastly, I need more space.  When football season comes, I'll be expected to house 20K-40k+ black shirts for my major account, and I just don't have room for it.  In fact, they pretty much told me yesterday to get a bigger space after they flew in to visit me. Normally I'd tell them to F' off, but I have been looking for awhile now, and I really need to move.  The thing about my customers now is that none of them care where I am.  I have one big job I print locally once a year, other than that, everything get's shipped.  And I don't think that job can be poached from me by someone local, there just isn't anybody at that level around here.  99% of my customer are not even in the DFW area.  They are in Houston, Austin, Chicago, and Lubbock.  I am friends with several local printers, I help them with tough jobs they can't do, and in exchange, if I need a red gildan, I just stop by and get one free of charge, and we're all cool with each other...But I've never dealt with these people aside from meeting them today.  I'm gonna walk through the space again on Sunday and try to make a decision next week...this space is absolutely perfect for me.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
I you were right next to each other, I would worry people will think you're one company.

Thats a for sure thing to consider, if the other shop sucks people could just assume your one in the same or get you confused. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Clark

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
I you were right next to each other, I would worry people will think you're one company.

It's a 12K sf building total, end cap where I want to be is 3Ksf, then all state has 3K next to that, then the other screen print shop...so there is technically an office in between.  Never thought about that..good point.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »
It could turn into:

Person A: Hey where did you get your shirts?
Person B: over on X Street and don't go there they suck.
Person A: Thanks for the heads up.

You know how people are.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Clark

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
Yeah..that does have me worried.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 01:04:15 PM »
...I actually have FIVE competing shops within a half-mile from me, two of which you HAVE to pass by to get to me. I have found it to have no ill effect on my business, I think I actually pick up a few clients when one of the others drops the ball.

...I say if the space suits your needs and will help your business, go for it. You cant base your decision on what suits the OTHER shop's needs. If they dont like it, they can also move, just like you are doing now.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Clark

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
...I actually have FIVE competing shops within a half-mile from me

There are far too many screen printing shops these days. Maybe I'll be doing everyone a service by thinning them out a bit in my area.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »
I have only skimmed through this thread, but think it is in bad taste (no offense meant in any way).

You are correct, BK and McDonalds do it all the time. Lots of Businesses do it. To me, it is cut throat as in I will move their and put you out (I am not saying that is what you are trying to do).

The only way I can see this working where you are both happy is if you were 100% contract only and they were 100% retail only and neither of you had any desire to cross over. Maybe if they were a dtg storefront that outsourced their printing and you were a to the trade printer only.

Now that is just my thoughts and I am sure 2 people can come to many different agreements and I am sure this same situation has happened and worked before.

I did notice a post by Graphic Disorder, and that is a very good point.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck either way.

Offline Clark

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
I hear ya...my thing is, I want in this area.  It is easy backroad accessibility to the town I am targeting.  There are several spaces available in this area, and I have looked at them all.  One other space I like will require too much build out, another is too large to A/C the production area.  Regardless, I am opening within 1 mile of this gal's shop because that is the best area for my type of business.  Now, I can move in down the road a bit and have a space that doesn't suit me as well or I can move in next door and have the perfect space.  It may appear cutthroat, and to some degree it is, when you open up a business, the intent is to take market share from competitors.  It will be a hard decision for me because while I intend to take a significant chunk of the market share, I'm not overly excited about doing it next door to the people I plan on taking business from at some point.

But, they may be out of business in a year with or without my help, so I'm thinking of doing what's right for my business..not theirs....thanks for the help everyone...its appreciated. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
Beware the Ides of March.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
I've seen several good posts here, but no one has suggested the obvious: just tell them to move.

;D
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »

I'm thinking of doing what's right for my business..not theirs....

words of wisdom right there. . . It's nothing personal, it's just business. .sounds cold, but so true. If the gas companies thought about anything other than themselves, we would be paying about .25/gal. I don't know about you, but I'm not doing this for s hits and giggles. I want to make money. plain and simple, check your feelings at the door.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline squeegee

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
Personally I wouldn't do it.  Bad Karma IMHO. 

Unless there's no other space that would suit you, I wouldn't, especially if the neighbor objects.  Maybe he'll change his mind, but if not I would personally look elsewhere.

I also wouldn't want the anxiety of a neighbor that objected to my presence from the beginning because you never know what kind of snitch they might become if they get a hair up their ass (building code, association regulations, misc BS technicalities, whatever).  Business is business, but there are 2 sides to every coin.

On the other hand, you both may end up getting along, problem is you have no way of knowing.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 07:52:33 PM »
I will add - there is always a better place than the one you are looking at.

Several months ago I looked at a nice shop. Big square room. 200A 3 ph panel. The entire room was already piped for compressed air. Over sized water heater. A separate built in room with a dehumidifier already installed....

I thought it was perfect but since then I've seen some even nicer, cleaner places with just as much power, smoother floors, nicer office areas, more customer friendly, etc.

I'd say keep looking. There's always something better than having hostile neighbors.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 04:13:51 AM »
I will add - there is always a better place than the one you are looking at.

I would agree. The space I recently vacated was absolutely perfect. Plenty of room for me, a decent office, a second bathroom in the back that the landlord allowed me to modify for washout as long as I put it back upon leaving, and they allowed me to make the single electrical modification I needed for my dryer (a 220v line) without hiring an electrician.
What I found out was that, except for a few days in the winter, it was hotter than hell back there. No back door, front of the building facing the sun in the morning. I put reflective film on the window and door, and had to run the AC in the office constantly. It was in a sidewall that dumped into the warehouse area which only added to the heat buildup. In addition, the parking lot wasn't well lit, and while the neighborhood was attractive, and the buildings all well-kept, when I had to work at night with the roll-up door open, I often noticed cars rolling though the parking lot slowly. There were some apartments built not far from there where there was a bit of sketchy activity, so I kept a gun there, "just in case" any of the locals thought there might be some "bargains" to be had after 5.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .