Author Topic: Removing Old Pallet Tape  (Read 3720 times)

Offline studog

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
  • I am back
Removing Old Pallet Tape
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:09:14 AM »
I have some sleeve boards that the pallet tape has been on for over a year. I know that because the design we are printing now is on the old pallet tape. Removing the old tape is a PITA. Its breaking, ripping in tiny pieces. Any hints, suggestions for removing the old tape?. And yes I will make sure the same tape is not on there again next year.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Re: Removing Old Pallet Tape
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
I have some sleeve boards that the pallet tape has been on for over a year. I know that because the design we are printing now is on the old pallet tape. Removing the old tape is a PITA. Its breaking, ripping in tiny pieces. Any hints, suggestions for removing the old tape?. And yes I will make sure the same tape is not on there again next year.
what kind of board is it? Either way I would try and spray them with maybe windex or stripee do and let it soften the tape and then scrape them with a plastic scraper.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:37:19 AM by jason-23 »

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
WE LIKE STRIPEE DOO  score the tape slightly with a razor blade spred on the stripee-doo and let it soak in for a while.
Scrape off with a good paint scraper may take a couple of cycles.
Next we use a NASCAR method of tape replacenemt or actually a two layer system like peel off windshields...here is how

Next we completely remove the stripee-doo with some lacquer thinner so the pallet is good and clean. the stripee-doo is oily so you have to make it all go away before you retape
we put a thin coat of tekbond on the pallet rubber and cover that with a new payer of pallet tape.
this becomes a permanent sub layer of pallet tape .
Coat that layer of pallet tape with tekbond and place another layer of pallet tape on the first.
now when it is time to replace the pallet tape it will release much easier from the under layer of pallet tape which will be stuck to your pallet , well like the tape you are trying to remove now.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
We?  Got a mouse in your pocket?   ;D
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »
This is just my method which I figured out after LOTS of headaches.

I usually lay paper towels over that stuck like #%*$! platen paper, and then dribble mineral spirits (paint thinner) over the paper towels. The paper towels are just there to hold the thinner, and help keep it  from drying out.

It soaks up both the platen paper and the adhesive. The whole thing will scrape off the next morning quite easily. Kerosene works too, maybe better, but is prolly more stanky.

After soaking overnight or several hours, I scrape the mess off with the same smoothed metal putty knife (with rounded corners) I use to scrape ink off of my screens. Then the remaining adhesive is a thick jelly-like substance which IS A PAIN to remove, but I currently use Lacquer Thinner or Goof Off to remove that until I can find something that works better. 

My platen paper is either R-Tape or Transfer Rite, and the bulk of my adhesive is that liquid that smells like Elmer's Glue.

Not too bad, but messy. Hope that helps!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
cycle pallets under the flash.  when pallets are hot, tape comes off easy.  WAY harder when they are cold.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
cycle pallets under the flash.  when pallets are hot, tape comes off easy.  WAY harder when they are cold.

I agree 100%. Heat the pallets up as much as you can. Then let them sit for a while. Then heat them up again then the tape should come off alot easier. The best time to take tape off is after a long run.

Offline Northland

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
Now that's a time saver... thanks.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »

I agree 100%. Heat the pallets up as much as you can. Then let them sit for a while. Then heat them up again then the tape should come off alot easier. The best time to take tape off is after a long run.

Would a decent bike ride work the same? I'm thinking of Homer here. :D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?