Author Topic: well it finally happened...  (Read 7450 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: well it finally happened...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
I think sam was talking about you.

I agree that if he can't make a go of it now, he needs to explore other options.  He could go out and cold call and generate enough business to replace his income.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »
nope..I am talking in general..everyone wants guaranteed money.  it is such a scam....if he make 400 bucks a week partime...(which is high)  he can go sell one job and replace that income and not have to work...

this is for anyone...but then again not everyone is cut out to be the boss or self employed...today I had to reprimand an employee and she was crying and all...it is not about emotions it is about what is right for the business...you negatively impact the business you will correct it or you will be gone...plain and simple...

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »
Only Jason knows his situation and his familys needs. It took 4 months for me of networking, emailing, meeting people etc etc before it produced anything. The first 4 months were very SLOW but the work I put in them with those people is now starting to pay off. Jason may have everything lined up already we dont know but again he knows what it will take to keep his family fed with a roof over their head.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »
Yeah, I say instead of a part time job, spend the same amount of time selling work. As Socal said, you can easily make a hundred or more bucks profit in a couple of hours of printing. A part time job might pay $10-$15 an hour for a few hours a day. $40-$60 as opposed to $100-$200 for a medium size print job.

You're more fortunate than most people who lose their jobs, because you're already set up to produce your own income. You might even make a couple hundred bucks by tomorrow!
Raster to vector conversion

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »
Sam, you aren't supposed to beat employees.  Or is that legal in MA?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
I agree with those who say now is the time to go get printing and art orders and focus on your own business. You have nothing to lose because you're already set up and are already doing it on "the side."

If it works, great, go with it and grow it. If it doesn't, then go look for more steady income.

Don't be afraid to try it. Also, don't be afraid to fail. It might take a couple layoffs before it clicks for you. Or, it might happen tomorrow. You'll never know if you don't give it a shot.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
I'd also throw it out there that although it seems counter-intuitive, for me, the less work I'm doing the more work I get--whenever I take a few days off, and BS with people I haven't seen or hung out with in too long, orders start going just like that--Get together with some people who share your interests--take a little time to volunteer for a cause you love, or get on a summer league team.  Even if you don't get any business out of it immediately, it will pay off in one way or another.

And who knows, even looking for a part time job could be an opportunity for multi-tasking.  Not hiring?   OK, need work apparel?   ;)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »
Wow thanks guys! I'm choking back the tears from all the encouragement. I'm still in shock about it a little, I've never been fired like this. Just to answer a few questions: I've been printing part time for 5 years, I have two little ones and a great wife that works and makes more than me turning wrenches. She is very supportive and told me today that she is behind me in any thing I want to do. I really am burnt out on the car thing. I'm  printing a job now as a matter of fact and I'm going to push the business. I have a few good friends that are in the industry that are willing to help. my biggest thing is I don't really know how to target and approach potential clients. I mean it just me really, what do I say, what do I bring with me, do I just introduce myself and that's it or what? What do you guys do or did you do in the beginning?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
That is one of the things most of us struggle with most is how to bring in more business.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
Hey Jason sorry to hear that... but I do know where you can pick up a nice growing business a couple of hundred miles north of you... Take care man and keep me in touch. We don't always know the reason but it is not for us to question if your one of his.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 03:19:50 PM »
my advice would be to go to the bookstore and read and read and read...go to the internet and read and read and read...get as much info as you can...make your website robust, get your marketing in line and make it all look the same....

sam

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
I agree with Sam even though he comes across like an %#$ sometimes but I like that!  ;)

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »
ass? or just not what people want to hear?  I am honest and sometimes that is hard for people to accept...the way I see it you have two options...fail or win...failing is not an option in my book...so i will take A$$hole anyday of the week...

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
ass? or just not what people want to hear?  I am honest and sometimes that is hard for people to accept...the way I see it you have two options...fail or win...failing is not an option in my book...so i will take A$$hole anyday of the week...
Exactly!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
And Jason that is great that your wife is working. I was the sole provider and it made it tougher to make the decision but like you my wife didnt stress and said lets do this!