Author Topic: Hello from Japan  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Hello from Japan
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »
It`s matthias here from Osaka/Japan.
I have been printing since `96. It all started in my hometown of Hamburg/Germany where I used to print shirts with a friend of mine in our warehouse. Moved to London and worked at a print shop called PhotoFit.
After marrying my japanese girlfriend in `99 we decided to move to Japan in 2005 to set up our own print shop called Sweatshop Union.
I ran my own t-shirt label called It`s Our Thing with a friend of mine from Tokyo till late 2010. You can see some stuff over here http://www.itsourthing.net
Well besides my love for printing I spend most of my time with my 2 boys.
I do enjoy riding my Cannondale bike and exploring Japan.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Hello from Japan
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »
Thanks for posting. Glad to have you aboard. I have a buddy in the Marines who would be sending me an order to print his tees. Approx. 1000 and I would be needing to research a good printer in that area. I think he's in Okinawa.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Hey Matt, like I told you, (and you already have experienced), we have a great group here that is probably stoked to have another member from the other side of the globe here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:33:59 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
Welcome!!!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:56:41 AM »
Wow, this is awesome. Finally being able to communicate with some other screen printers.
Just from my own experience as someone who has printed in Germany and in the UK and by reading all the post on this forum I have to admit the industry here in Japan is totally different.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
Wow, this is awesome. Finally being able to communicate with some other screen printers.
Just from my own experience as someone who has printed in Germany and in the UK and by reading all the post on this forum I have to admit the industry here in Japan is totally different.

good to have you aboard!

How is the industry different there?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
Great to see you on here. 

I'm with Pierre--It would be interesting to hear about some of the differences.  As far as the process goes, Japan does have a few centuries of experience over the west...    ;)

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
welcome to the board.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »
Welcome!!!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »
Lived in Okinawa for 3 years on Kadena Airforce Base from 15-18 yrs old (1990-1993) , me and my skateboarding freinds use to expore areas off base and get crazy lost but man we had a blast! An experience that I'm forever grateful for.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »
@blue moon
True as far as the process goes Japan has got a longer history then the west, but then they suddenly stopped progressing any further
Japanese screen printers don`t want to expand their horizon in the way printers in the States, the UK or in Germany do. Most of them are happy with their set up that dates back 20 years or more. No willingness to improve it, to try something new. The average screen here got 12-15N, hardly anyone is using Roller Frames or has ever heard of them. My distributer of Union Inks here in Japan, they do as well workhorse products asked me why I`m using Roller Frames or why I would need high tension screens at all for printing with plastisol inks. Automatic presses are still a totally new thing here and thanks to the japanese distributers totally over priced. An entry level press will cost you $50000,  a basic gas dryer sets you back by $30000 at least. Print shops that do run an automatic can`t run it very fast as the screens are of such a low tension. Anyway, the general attitude is once you are set up you don`t change it even if there has been plenty of progress in the industry over the years.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »
what cannondale you riding?

welcome aboard. .read a bunch, laugh a ton yada, yada,  bobs your uncle....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
A Bad Boy Ultra. Would like to get something more suitable for the mountains though. But first a new press and dryer.

Offline kingclothing

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »
welcome

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »
Welcome