Author Topic: Cell phone repeaters?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Cell phone repeaters?
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Anyone have one?

The towers by me must have been behind the shop and since we were on the corner it wrapped around and we got signal.

Now, we barely get the one bar and can't really use it.

I'm looking at them, but dropping that much cash I want to know if it works before.

FYI, I'm on t-mobile (1900mhz) and I just need it for phone calls, can use wifi for data.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Cell phone repeaters?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
We tried them on the boats with mixed results. The high end ones worked but were cost prohibitive, cheaper ones were hit or miss. They all had trouble receiving calls.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
Someone told me that some companies give some customers, some repeating or boosting device under some conditions,  some times.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
I do have 5 phones with them... it's all family not commercial.  But still two of them are balls out unlimited, another is unlimited web and another is unlimited talk (though that is about to get shrunk down... I'll wait till after my attempt to get a repeater). ;)

I know ma'bell has a unit as part of their equipment but not sure about t-mobile.

Offline dsh

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »
I got one for home hoping to improve internet speed with a Sprint phone.  I put it in about 2 weeks ago.  At the time we had to go outside to make a call, and were lucky to have 2 bars.  Most of the time it was 1 bar.  Sometimes the phone wouldn't ring when called.  Now all calls get through with 4-5 bars.  It didn't make the net any better though.  My research indicated get a dual channel repeater.  But you're right, they ain't cheap.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »
Mind sharing what model you ended up getting?

Yeah, you need that dual band junk to get internet speeds up and those are even more expensive as I'm sure you found out!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
WTF are yall talking about?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
"boosters" to help in bad reception areas.

http://www.repeaterstore.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dsh

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »
Mind sharing what model you ended up getting?

I got a wilson 841262 / 841263 DB Pro.  It was $359 + shipping.  The antenna is omnidirectional.  I have 2 cell towers about 90 degrees apart.  It was easy enough to put up as I have a pole w/tv antenna.  I think it took out a couple tv stations that were fringe, but they were duplicates of other stations.  You have to keep the inside antenna from pointing at the receiving antenna.   But being 20 ft up that isn't a problem. 

http://powerfulsignal.com/wilson-841262-841263-db-pro-signalboost.aspx?gclid=CIfFy93W_a4CFZNV7Aod-SFE0Q