Author Topic: How would you print this? Small text on left chest  (Read 2337 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
How would you print this? Small text on left chest
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
Left chest print on black tees.  Not a hard print, just occurred to me that people might print this different than I would and I wonder which way would produce the best results?

I think the lower smaller text will just be solid as there's no way to get any of the embossed effect at that size.  What about the larger text?  How would you guys print it?  One color or two?  This is something I'd probably normally print in single color with a couple hard strokes.  Would it work better with two colors, one grey and a lighter highlight grey?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: How would you print this? Small text on left chest
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »
Wow... umm, yea.  Definitely two screens.  Solid white as a base screen.  lighter grey for the shading on the top text, probably at 60 or 65 lpi in order to show how thin that gradation is... any lower and the dots will be too big for such a small area.

Also, I would personally put in more contrast (shadows a touch darker, the highlite a bit whiter) just to make the printing easier for you.  Otherwise it may just look like a blob.

my .02 cents.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:27:38 PM by Colin »
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
For just a left chest i would advise them to just use a solid white or light grey. Sure a good printer can pull this off like Colin mentioned but will they pay for it?
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »
Are you even positive that this is not supposed to be one solid color and merely lost (or gained) something in the Photoshop/jpg translation?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »
that is what I was thinking.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
Hmm ok.  Thanks Colin.  I was afraid of that lol.  I may suggest simpler art.  There's similar text, large though, on the back that will have to be addressed with the back screens which are going cmyk so that'll be fun!

It's vector art, so not an issue with raster translation unfortunately.  No matter how I save the pdf though it's still over the size limit for upload which is weird.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
At that size, they won't gain anything from the two colors,
in fact, it will look like anti-aliasing from a viewers perspective,
and will make it harder to read.
If they know better that you or I, lay down a darker grey ( outside line underfill ), flash,
then overprint the lighter grey on top.
( and squint, haha )

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:18 PM »
I did not know you could print a neon sign.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers