Author Topic: What's your favorite "BLACK" ink?  (Read 4684 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: What's your favorite "BLACK" ink?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
westarsolutions.com

Give them a call tomorrow. While they are only about an hour north of us that is not a problem. But since you are in CA it will be three/four days shipping time

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
I'll check them. Bestscreenprinting supplies down in L.A. Is cheap but like I said. And their website sucks.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:31:54 PM by Prosperi-Tees »

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »

That happens to me too when I over thin my inks down, it's enough to rattle your nerves.

What worries me about the issue I was having is the ink that was doing this was straight out of the bucket with no reducer.  Do you think my supplier was reducing the ink prior to selling to me or does the batman black do this as part of its original formula?  Has anyone else had this happen with the batman?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 08:28:39 AM »
I know what your speaking of Alan. . .but we have never had this happen with the batman. kinda strange. . .holy crap my BS guy is quitting on my right now. . YESSSS!!!!
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »
Lol, thanks for the very polite way of pointing out my typing mistakes Chris ;)  The chemical additive Wilflex has... I have no idea what it actually is.  It's something they have in (at least) their Genesis series and standard mixing base.  It creates a grey-ish effect that does double duty for increasing their opacity and taking out all the shine from their inks.  Unfortunately, it also muddies up their colors.

Prosperi-Tees: Contact Melissa Cambra at Rutland about any isues you are having with a distributor and ink availability.  I know Best Supply pretty well and I know Ronnie Delgado will man up about stuff going wrong really quick... is he your contact there?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »
is that additive from Wilflex a powder?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
It's a component in their formulas.  We couldn't figure out exactly what it was.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »
Ink companies reverse engineering on eachother?

Awesome.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »
Happens all the time.

High Density, Plastisol that feels like waterbase, the crackle inks that fall off the shirt, pretty much all the specialty inks were started by someone and then duplicated by another when their customers asked for their version...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
Lol, thanks for the very polite way of pointing out my typing mistakes Chris ;)  The chemical additive Wilflex has... I have no idea what it actually is.  It's something they have in (at least) their Genesis series and standard mixing base.  It creates a grey-ish effect that does double duty for increasing their opacity and taking out all the shine from their inks.  Unfortunately, it also muddies up their colors.

Prosperi-Tees: Contact Melissa Cambra at Rutland about any isues you are having with a distributor and ink availability.  I know Best Supply pretty well and I know Ronnie Delgado will man up about stuff going wrong really quick... is he your contact there?

Ha, I didn't even realize the spelling.  Surprised I got it right.  I used to have excellent written grammar before the dawn of computers and the abbreviated communication style of the email/internet and now it's all gone to hell. 

I have noticed that on WFX, I love the matte look, not as jazzed about some of the colors compared to QCM but I can fix that up with my PCs easily. And besides if you take away refraction from the film of ink then off course that's going to change the way you perceive it to the eye, nature of the beast. 

But whatever that component is, I does mostly excellent things to the finished print I'd say.

Westar Solutions rules, use them!  I wish they carried more product we use nowadays as they are my all time favorite supplier.