Author Topic: hoodie job coming back because of colors bleeding into eachother...  (Read 10771 times)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: hoodie job coming back because of colors bleeding into eachother...
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
ok, so let's say he got re-dyed shirts -now what?  Can he go back at the supplier and get compensated here or does this fall under "test before doing a full production run" . .since redyed shirts aren't necessarily faulty shirts, I am assuming no

Considering dye migration doesnt always occur until sometimes a month later, it's a toss up... guess it depends on how bad they want to keep a customer. BTW this job was printed early Jan and now its showing up.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
I was thinking the same thing as Prosperi. A low bleed white underbase and regular ink red overprint may have worked better...and have been easier to print. The opaque red has more pigment than regular ink and may have resulted in the crocking.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 07:33:22 PM »
I was thinking the same thing as Prosperi. A low bleed white underbase and regular ink red overprint may have worked better...and have been easier to print. The opaque red has more pigment than regular ink and may have resulted in the crocking.

Rip (or anyone), I've a question on this. 

I expect to be printing a few 50/50 or 80/20 hoodies soon and was planning on doing it just as you said.  a low-bleed underbase and 1 color on top.  Does the base layer have to be just completely, 100% solid and opaque to avoid migration or can there be some tiny fibers from the shirt poking through like would normally be acceptable on 100% cotton?  Hopefully you get the idea.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
If your standard ink (cotton ink, partial low bleed ink) touches the garment and the garment gases/sublimates then it WILL be absorbed by that ink.

This will happen with a haltone underbase or with to much of a trapped white base plate.  I.e. where the top color acttually touches the shirt instead of just barely wrapping around the base ink.

If you are AT ALL concerned about bleed showing in a top color, do not let it actually touch the shirt.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 11:48:12 PM »
Colin, I understand what you're saying about underchoke or printing on the garment.  Sometimes printing a light ink, even on cotton, will show tiny bumps, probably more fibrillation bumps on top of the fibers.  Would that be at risk as well or does it need to be a pretty good layer (approaching bulletproof) to block migration?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »
Ah, you will be fine. 

Now if the garment is really really suseptable to sublimating.  Then you can see some dye migration at those points... but not to much.

What you will typically find though, is the printer does not like how the print looks with the small fibers popping through, and go's back and fixes the print, fixing the minor potential for bleed.

Those threads that pop through are cotton, not polyester.  Which is why you typically do not have a problem.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
Thanks Colin.