Author Topic: Anyone have a XP and system 7 computer networked?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline killergraphics

Anyone have a XP and system 7 computer networked?
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »
I don't know what else to try and even the overseas techs said it could not be done and tried for an hour to make it happen.

I think it has more to do with my AT&T wireless gateway as others have had problems with it networking two "like computers".

Would it work with a second less sucure wireless router in front of the AT&T or is it that the two systems will not network?

Any help would be Great.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Anyone have a XP and system 7 computer networked?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
I don't know what else to try and even the overseas techs said it could not be done and tried for an hour to make it happen.

I think it has more to do with my AT&T wireless gateway as others have had problems with it networking two "like computers".

Would it work with a second less sucure wireless router in front of the AT&T or is it that the two systems will not network?

Any help would be Great.

not trying to be a smartass, are you talking about the actual system 7 from Apple? I can't help you with that. If it is Windows 7, they work fine. you might need a switch, a router or a gateway depending on your internet connection to make it work . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
No all windows (PC)

and i can't find anyone that can make it work and now being told the two do not talk to each other right.

Are you networking a XP system and a win 7 (or what ever the new win platform is called) on a laptop to each other now?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:21:00 AM by killergraphics »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
Do you have a sever?  I run server 2003, XP, and win 7 32 and 64 bit on various computers.  No problems other than the XP system doesn't really like to talk to the others sometimes and I have to dig to see network folders.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
No all windows (PC)

and i can't find anyone that can make it work and now being told the two do not talk to each other right.

Are you networking a XP system and a win 7 (or what ever the new win platform is called) on a laptop to each other now?

they do work, so to figure out the issues, we'll need a little more info.

How are you connected to the internet? Cable, DSL? What does the box that brings it in look like? How many ports on it and what is it called (get us the manufacturer name and the model number)?
Are you using WiFi?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »
Thanks for the offer Pierre

I fixed it with a product from Cisco called network magic.

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/software/cisco-software-network-magic_stcVVcatId553232VVviewcat.htm

I have had techs here in town and the $169 support guys in India say it would not work.

In my computer life I think the Mad Artist from his FB page put it best

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:59:34 PM by killergraphics »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »
I was at a clients the other night fighting and fighting with a networking issue.  I finally changed a setting on the router and poof! it worked.  It was rather stupid, I had a second router being used as an AP (Access Point) and set it up as so.  Well, I switched a setting from "Gateway" to "Router" mode and that did it.

I will say though that I HATE post 2k networking... XP was "OK", once you disabled "simple file sharing"... but with win2k, it just WORKED!   Vista and 7 are even worse.