Author Topic: Hello from the rustbelt  (Read 2061 times)

Offline hazeremover

• Verified/Junior
Hello from the rustbelt
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »
It never occurred to me that there would be more than one forum dealing with the subject of screen printing, or more specifically, garment printing. I literally stumbled upon TSB today while Googling something else so I don't have the honor of stating that I've been lurking for x amount of days.

No matter. My drug of choice is screen printing. I entered the corporate screen printing world around 1985, although the screen printing bug bit me in high school a few years previous when I printed my first tees and posters in shop class. Even though I've always been interested in art/graphic design and print reproduction since I was a kid, screen printing just seemed to be a way more interesting craft compared to basic offset/litho/web/sheetfed methods.

After HS, I initially studied standard print and publishing at the local tech school but wanting to expand my art abilities, I attended the local art college. I then landed a job with a fairly large screen printer, predominantly textiles but also heat transfers, pressure sensitive decals and posters. I went from ink mixing/color matching to printer to pre-press, ending up in the art department which is where I've practiced my craft for the past 26 years. I've designed and color sepped in most of the of the imprinted sportswear genres - concert tees, Harley, booze, NFL, Nascar, Disney, Time Warner - all the way down to the local church festival. Went from the stat camera and miles of amberlith to the glorious tools named Adobe. Still enjoy pulling a squeegee or stretchin' mesh when the opportunity presents itself.

Looks like a good cross section of old timers and newbies scattered here. I may have a crumb of wisdom to share from being in the trenches all these years but also hope to learn a thing or two. You're dead if you don't. Well, enough wind bagging about myself ::) :).

Tim

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Hello from the rustbelt
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »
It never occurred to me that there would be more than one forum dealing with the subject of screen printing, or more specifically, garment printing. I literally stumbled upon TSB today while Googling something else so I don't have the honor of stating that I've been lurking for x amount of days.

No matter. My drug of choice is screen printing. I entered the corporate screen printing world around 1985, although the screen printing bug bit me in high school a few years previous when I printed my first tees and posters in shop class. Even though I've always been interested in art/graphic design and print reproduction since I was a kid, screen printing just seemed to be a way more interesting craft compared to basic offset/litho/web/sheetfed methods.

After HS, I initially studied standard print and publishing at the local tech school but wanting to expand my art abilities, I attended the local art college. I then landed a job with a fairly large screen printer, predominantly textiles but also heat transfers, pressure sensitive decals and posters. I went from ink mixing/color matching to printer to pre-press, ending up in the art department which is where I've practiced my craft for the past 26 years. I've designed and color sepped in most of the of the imprinted sportswear genres - concert tees, Harley, booze, NFL, Nascar, Disney, Time Warner - all the way down to the local church festival. Went from the stat camera and miles of amberlith to the glorious tools named Adobe. Still enjoy pulling a squeegee or stretchin' mesh when the opportunity presents itself.

Looks like a good cross section of old timers and newbies scattered here. I may have a crumb of wisdom to share from being in the trenches all these years but also hope to learn a thing or two. You're dead if you don't. Well, enough wind bagging about myself ::) :).

Tim

Welcome aboard Tim!! Glad to have you here!
Now which part of rustbelt are you from?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:51:06 PM »
Welcome.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »
As I keep saying, always room for one more! Glad you found us.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »
Welcome Tim!

Ah the joys of rubylith, amberlith, stat cameras & darkrooms! I can smell the chemicals now. Sometimes I almost miss those days. I am kinda new here too and so far have really enjoyed TSB. There does seem to be a good mix here and the regulars seem really passionate about what they do, which I have been enjoying. Feel free to jump in; so far no one has bitten me yet. lol

Offline Northland

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
Nice to meet you.... post away !

...closing in on the 500 member mark....

Offline hazeremover

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:12 PM »

pierre
[/quote]

Southeastern Wisconsin. Many thanks for the kind greetings.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:02:26 AM »

pierre

Southeastern Wisconsin. Many thanks for the kind greetings.
[/quote]

Hey we have another Wisconsin guy here. (I am in Arizona but originally from Portage, Wisconsin)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:21 AM »
Welcome to the one and only TSB

Offline hazeremover

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:03 AM »
Hey we have another Wisconsin guy here. (I am in Arizona but originally from Portage, Wisconsin)[/quote]

Greetings SG. Bet you don't miss the winters here. Although we've had a ridiculously mild winter this season. Most of the freezing rain, snow and plain old bad stuff seems to just pass right by, either staying south or headin' east. ;D

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Hey we have another Wisconsin guy here. (I am in Arizona but originally from Portage, Wisconsin)

Greetings SG. Bet you don't miss the winters here. Although we've had a ridiculously mild winter this season. Most of the freezing rain, snow and plain old bad stuff seems to just pass right by, either staying south or headin' east. ;D
[/quote]

I have been here for 14 years and go back to WI for Christmas very year for a week. After that week I remember how bad the weather is and why I left. Arizona sunny 362 days a year.

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
welcome to the good board.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.