General > General Discussion and ???

Hope you southerners are safe.

<< < (2/4) > >>

whitewater:
glad that you are good!

My friends left Asheville this morning to go to Charleston, they have a airbnb condo there. They said interstate was clear and once they got to South Carolina they could get gas.

mk162:
We're good just northwest of Atlanta.  My folks are on the Ga/SC border and I'd be surprised if they have power back in a week. We took them our generator and some supplies. 

It narrowly missed us.

3Deep:
glad you guys are all good my business neighbor has family in Carolina that didn't fair so well is what she told my wife this morning, no life loss which is a blessing

mk162:

--- Quote from: 3Deep on September 30, 2024, 01:11:47 PM ---glad you guys are all good my business neighbor has family in Carolina that didn't fair so well is what she told my wife this morning, no life loss which is a blessing

--- End quote ---

Spartanburg, a suburb of Greenville isn't expected to have power restored until the 8th.

A lot of my family lives around Greenville.  It's bad. They at least have cell service. some of them can't leave their neighborhoods. One of my cousins has a generator so she can keep her freezer and fridge running.

Side note, newer fridges can trip GFCI breakers. My parents fridge won't stay running on the generator, but the chest freezer does. My only thought is running the generator power through a line conditioner or a UPS to even out the signal going back might help it.  Something to think about if your short term plan involves a portable generator.

Admiral:

--- Quote from: mk162 on September 30, 2024, 02:40:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: 3Deep on September 30, 2024, 01:11:47 PM ---glad you guys are all good my business neighbor has family in Carolina that didn't fair so well is what she told my wife this morning, no life loss which is a blessing

--- End quote ---

Spartanburg, a suburb of Greenville isn't expected to have power restored until the 8th.

A lot of my family lives around Greenville.  It's bad. They at least have cell service. some of them can't leave their neighborhoods. One of my cousins has a generator so she can keep her freezer and fridge running.

Side note, newer fridges can trip GFCI breakers. My parents fridge won't stay running on the generator, but the chest freezer does. My only thought is running the generator power through a line conditioner or a UPS to even out the signal going back might help it.  Something to think about if your short term plan involves a portable generator.

--- End quote ---

That may work, you may need the 1000w + UPS for it.  My backup power route uses 2 very large batteries to power my whole house and I have a small dual fuel (propane) generator if I need to charge them.  Allows for pure sine wave power, 24 hr backup without any noise, and if I need to charge the batteries up I can run that during the day / early evening then have it off for quite some time.  I did of course spend a pretty penny for all of this, about $5K.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version