Author Topic: Game Changers or Dust collectors  (Read 2007 times)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Game Changers or Dust collectors
« on: September 24, 2024, 07:24:37 AM »
Industries across the globe and over time have always tried (and will continue) to innovate and improve technology in an effort to move forward with regards to efficiency, quality, and innovation. Ours is certainly not an exception. "Thank You Captain Obvious" you may say, however there have certainly been some clunkers out there. In addition, there are pieces of equip that are considered to be treasures to some but trash to others. So, in order to start what might be a lively discussion lets try to stay clear of bashing, more of a pros and cons thread. Humorous anecdotes allowed and encouraged.
I'll share some of mine later.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Game Changers or Dust collectors
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2024, 01:35:12 PM »
I'll share a dust collector for us was buying a pad printing setup, not the El-cheapo but a nice manual system, won't mention the name because the equipment was great did what they said it would do, but the problem was the cost of products and qty of what you had to buy vs what the customer wanted.  I don't think I made my money back or if I did we broke even and still have the machine today, so not only do you have to study the machine but the products you need do produce items for customers.  Another piece of equipment was a cap attachment to screen print 6 panel caps, now I will say we made our money back and more on that until screenprinted caps fell wayside to embroidery, those are my two biggest investments that now collect dust.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2024, 04:26:13 PM »
Ive got a squeegee cleaner sitting in the corner here. The one with two big brushes and a hand crank. I loved it but the crew says its too slow. It splashes chems up into the top of the blade and leaks down as the squeegee flexes during production if you aren't thorough. Then there's the winged flood bar hangup. Screen O and a rag is quicker... and with the number of setups we're pushing every day pretty much mandatory. Less healthy for sure... but quicker yes.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2024, 04:31:27 PM »
Automatic hang tagging machine...

OMFG. Tinkerer's nightmare. Trying to get it to work correctly and not have it waste more time than it was supposed to save.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2024, 08:34:29 AM »
Game Changers:
Stampinator
One Stroke Inks
S mesh
Unlimited time off for employees + make you're own schedule
beer fridge
no phone
DTS
DTF in house

Dust Collectors:
Roller frames
Quartz Flashes
Squeegie cleaners
specialty pallets /  jacket hold down
Number screens
screen stretching systems
Bucket scoop with the thumb on it...

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2024, 09:27:06 AM »
Bucket scoop with the thumb on it...

Hey now I like those bucket scoops, only have two, really didn't need but one LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2024, 04:10:55 PM »
Dust Collectors:
M&R Hot Head
Old DTG equipment (practically gave away everything, Viper pretreats we couldn't give away...)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2024, 07:55:38 AM »
Proves my point that, as we are all in the same business, we are similar but different. Beer fridge and make your own hours may not work for many for instance. Heres my eyebrow raiser..... the stampinator is a dust collector here. Heres why. It simply cannot replace the flashes. Too many substrate variables. Our 8 and 10 color ROQs are of an earlier year and we can't control it from the main. Its just too finicky for us, at least for now. It has to work 100% all the time and despite hard and earnest tweaking, it did not. And since our machines have a smaller footprint, can't use it after the flash. Pressed for space and certainly don't want to have to switch it out. Needs to be a permanent fixture. Tried for inline transfer and no go. Too much platen deflection. Not that we won't dust it off and give it a go some time in the future but for now it was a hard pass.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2024, 08:52:30 AM »
I know a lot of people make good use of a DTG machine but for me its a dust collector. Both softwares I use stopped working for it. Can't get support. Big waste of money. In hindsight I'd be better off investing the finance payment into the market every month. Oh well. 2 more years until it's paid off and then I can give it away for 10 bucks lol.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2024, 08:55:01 AM »
Dust Collectors:
M&R Hot Head
Old DTG equipment (practically gave away everything, Viper pretreats we couldn't give away...)
Admiral, what do you not like about the hothead?  I was considering one. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2024, 09:16:01 AM »
exactly why we hated the quartz flashes. Too many fabrics for a "set it and forget it", they needed too many adjustments. grey triblends? those suckers scorched every time....Stampinator. one and done for everything.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2024, 09:44:23 AM »
Dust collector

Manual Press (Not trying to be a smart ass)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2024, 10:00:42 AM »
Dust collector

we got rid of our manual press- 10c chameleon with side clamp. we didnt have anyone to run it and we primarily print runs over 500pc. my boss told the handyman to bring it to the scrapyard.   i gave the acoma flash to Tony P at CGS in NJ because my boss wanted to toss it as well.

now we cant print multi color pocket prints.  we end up getting DTF transfers and heat press them on.

we are phasing out our roller frames -when they pop we bring them to the scrapyard. not worth it to sell and too much labor to remesh.
our roller frame stretching tables turned into heat press tables. strong and just about the right height for the heat press team.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2024, 10:01:33 AM »
Gamechanger - when I had this Pocono screen supply numbering system with little wooden screens.. It was a game changer because it made me realize to never buy crap like that again..LOL

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2024, 10:05:01 AM »
Dust collector

Our Kruzer collects dust 90% of the time, but just this AM I ran in the back and printed 35 sleeve prints so the guys didnt have to switch the pallets on one of the other presses. I always want to get rid of it and then I use it for something like this and it saves a little time!