Computers and Software > Computers and Software - General

Home Network question

<< < (2/2)

Admiral:
You're 100% on the exact right track.  Plug in a router with DHCP/routing off, use as an access point with the same network SSID, security and password.  Aim it so the antennas work best towards your 3 season porch.  If you are going for POE make sure that Ethernet has it from the switch it runs to.

I recommend TP Link products for the best value for home use.  They also have access point only devices to save more money.  I use Unifi for work locations and my house, but that's not needed here.

Atownsend:

--- Quote from: Admiral on August 13, 2024, 03:51:24 PM ---You're 100% on the exact right track.  Plug in a router with DHCP/routing off, use as an access point with the same network SSID, security and password.  Aim it so the antennas work best towards your 3 season porch.  If you are going for POE make sure that Ethernet has it from the switch it runs to.

I recommend TP Link products for the best value for home use.  They also have access point only devices to save more money.  I use Unifi for work locations and my house, but that's not needed here.

--- End quote ---

The Unifi controller software is way nice though. I like to have all the features even if I don't use them. Probably overkill for this situation but I think some of the unify AP's are waterproof or water resistant (UAP-AC-M) so if this is going to be outside its a thing to consider if the porch isn't screened. It's also pole mount which is cool.

Admiral:
We have outdoor Unifi APs at both warehouses.  One has a large one for the dog park

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version