Author Topic: Home Network question  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Home Network question
« on: August 12, 2024, 02:08:54 PM »
Hey all, I have what I think should be an easy fix, but keep getting overwhelmed with too much information regarding Wireless Access Points. The problem: when I sit on my 3 seasons porch, I have trouble streaming, it buffers a lot and make video watching a pita. So after much reading and video watching on the subject, (not on the porch, lol) the best option appears to be a Wireless Access Point. My modem, an Xfinity Gateway router/access point is on one end of my house, on the first floor. My porch (and shop under it) are an addition at the other end of the house. Gateway does a decent job for the house, except for the porch area, 30 - 35 ft. from the Gateway location.

I do have an ethernet port on the first floor about 30 ft away that I originally wired into my wall entertainment unit for a TiVo. I can place an AP on the first floor close to the wall that separates the original exterior and the addition. I'm looking for an AP that is low on features (not trying to setup an office or anything like that) that will simply allow me to broadcast the wifi to the porch. Extenders are not the way, so don't recommend one please.
I think I know that some can do what I'm looking without creating a new network, but if I do create and additional network, I can live with that, as I will be the only person using it. I am also aware of POE switch to provide the power instead of using the power block that comes with them. Thanks in advance everybody...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Home Network question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024, 03:38:42 PM »
You should look into a mesh network then.  See if a cheap AP has mesh capabilities.  We run ubiquiti at the house and shop and I'm pretty certain it can mesh if needed.

Our AP is big enough I can pick it up anywhere around our office or outside out home.

Your other option is to put in a more powerful AP in a central point.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 06:03:11 PM »
If you have an old wireless router you can turn the router portion off and just use it as a WAP, plug it into whatever ethernet port is closest to
where you want wifi. Will use same network etc, super easy. I'm sure they make devices just for the purpose but I always have an old router around.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024, 09:50:50 AM »
I use an eero mesh that I bought on amazon a few years ago. I get great coverage all over the house and in the back yard. I can go about 3 houses down (zero lot line) in either direction. I have 3 hubs. I think it said good for 3000 square feet. I am getting way better than that. I have 2 college kids, 2 high schools and my wife and I are on working from home a lot. I rarely have any issue with streaming.

When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2024, 10:48:59 AM »
I did have some old routers, but they went the recycle path. So it looks like a dual channel Wireless AP, a single unit should do it. I did some speed tests last night, and in my living room, opposite end of the house from the Gateway router, upstairs, I had 160 mbps or so. If I walk the width of the house,  24 ft., and stand next to the door to the porch,  it drops to around 105, but on the porch, it's .49, no wonder I was having trouble. I'm looking at the TP-Link EAP610 V2, I can put it in the lower level just beneath the door to the porch on the 2nd floor and test. At the worst, I drill a hole through the wall to the shop below the porch and put it there. If that doesn't work, then I'm really going to be pissed off. :)

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Admiral

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2024, 03:51:24 PM »
You're 100% on the exact right track.  Plug in a router with DHCP/routing off, use as an access point with the same network SSID, security and password.  Aim it so the antennas work best towards your 3 season porch.  If you are going for POE make sure that Ethernet has it from the switch it runs to.

I recommend TP Link products for the best value for home use.  They also have access point only devices to save more money.  I use Unifi for work locations and my house, but that's not needed here.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2024, 04:56:14 PM »
You're 100% on the exact right track.  Plug in a router with DHCP/routing off, use as an access point with the same network SSID, security and password.  Aim it so the antennas work best towards your 3 season porch.  If you are going for POE make sure that Ethernet has it from the switch it runs to.

I recommend TP Link products for the best value for home use.  They also have access point only devices to save more money.  I use Unifi for work locations and my house, but that's not needed here.

The Unifi controller software is way nice though. I like to have all the features even if I don't use them. Probably overkill for this situation but I think some of the unify AP's are waterproof or water resistant (UAP-AC-M) so if this is going to be outside its a thing to consider if the porch isn't screened. It's also pole mount which is cool.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2024, 05:09:08 PM »
We have outdoor Unifi APs at both warehouses.  One has a large one for the dog park :)