Author Topic: Tri-loc worth it  (Read 3263 times)

Offline TL

• Verified/Junior
Tri-loc worth it
« on: August 16, 2024, 01:10:23 PM »
We currently do not use M&R Tri-loc for screen registration for our autos because a salesperson told me a few years ago that it's not worth it unless you also have CTS(we do not).  Is this correct or would tri-loc still improve setup times even with manual film placement?

Offline zanegun08

Re: Tri-loc worth it
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 02:05:57 PM »
no.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 03:54:24 PM »
With a press adjusted as close to perfect as possible and if the art/screen departments are in sync...

maybe?

Tri-Loc depends heavily on all steps in the art-to-press chain being optimized. Once one step in the chain slacks off it all falls apart pretty quick.

It has definite benefits for screens that are catalogued and re-used, especially on jobs with lots of colors. (assuming the press is DIALED)
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 10:55:25 AM »
Mine collects dust. Too much film shifting during the exposing process it seems. It sometimes would work perfectly on my old press, but on an Anatol Volt, no dice. I ended up making my own version of that rapid reg template and just line up jobs with that. Takes slightly longer but I almost never have to adjust anything after the first test print. I'll probably sell my triloc soon. I thought about keeping it around because I was considering adding the cheaper Exile CTS, but even with that I don't think it would work well on my press. The screen holders like to push the screen into the jig a little too hard so I think that causes some flex and misalignment.

I'd say if you have everything dialed in, definitely worth it. Personally, if I was starting over, I'd get an MHM press and CTS and call it a day.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 12:49:24 PM »
The bullseye system we ran back in 2013ish was pretty good.  We modified it so it worked better. It didn't use any carrier sheets and it was surprisingly accurate.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 03:48:22 PM »
The bullseye system we ran back in 2013ish was pretty good.  We modified it so it worked better. It didn't use any carrier sheets and it was surprisingly accurate.
Sometimes I wish I would've kept that going with trying to improve the bullseye.  I found out that it takes pretty deep pockets and it's pretty tough trying to keep up with the big boys. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.