screen printing > General Screen Printing

Realistic printing speeds

(1/4) > >>

Maxie:
I think our printing speeds are too slow.     I'd looking for feedback with realistic printing speeds, what do you in your shop on a day to day basis, hour after hour.
We have two printing options. printer plus catcher or printer, puller and catcher.     Printing on MHM S type.
How many one color shirts can you print in an hour? Two hours etc.
How many 4 color shirts, etc.?   Thanks in advance for your feedback.

whitewater:
Being realistic, there's no way my staff will print like I used to. I can dial it in, where if I have 2 and myself,  I can load in 1 squeegee stroke, they can or do not. There really is no need to bust their ass when they get paid the same no matter what. And in the past I tried to offer incentives, didn't work for me.

What I do though, is we keep track of the  time of the job we are doing. Start is when they load the screens in, and finished is when boxed and screens down. They put the time in monday, with any notes of if or why it may have took longer than they thought. Then we pout that in price it, along with whomever does art, they put their time spent doing mockup, seps, and burning screens.

In price it it gives us a percentage of profit or loss...

Monday mornings we go over the previous week and see where we hit our numbers or didn't. And try to figure out why.

Its so hard for me to even get staff to work here, that I try to figure out ways to hold them accountable without directly saying " you are to slow on this, we can print faster."

Maybe instead think of it as " are we hitting our percentages?" " or " they are going a little slow, but there are no mistakes and the prints look good"

Doug S:
With us just being a mom and pop with an occasional helper.  I would say we average 420 give or take a dozen an hour.  I am the bottleneck as the loader because I am too obsessed with straight and centered.  Unless they are really long prints the number stays roughly the same.  I realize there are many that print faster.  If I had to do it over again, I would've forked over the difference for a press that the tables didn't raise and lower.  I didn't realize how much of a difference that makes until I went to a class that had challengers and I loaded 100 shirts at a speed of 1/3 faster than I load now with less fatigue.

balloonguy:
I have a very old diamonback (number 7, I think). With me loading and unloading I can consistently hit 350. With an unloader I can get up to about 450 for a couple of hours. After 3.5 - 4 hours I begin to slow down to 420 or so. Of course the size of the print matters. A left chest can go a little faster than a 14” tall print…

blue moon:
anything more than 48 pieces we have a puller. They are slower when alone, probably 350 per hour or so. With a puller if they are doing less than 700, something is wrong. Most settle in at 850 or so on the runs over 100. Some print at 950 pretty steadily.
For really long runs we are at 4k per day normally. One of our faster guys will crank out 6k plus. He can do that for a day or two, but then he is beat so we'll give them smaller orders to recover...
Last three days we did pretty good and averaged over 550 per hour per press with setups included. Thats with 6.5 setups per press each day. Average order size 190 pieces. 5 ppl working on the floor plus 2 catchers.

pj

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version