Author Topic: Covid Positive  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Northland

Re: Covid Positive
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 10:47:34 AM »
I've become a bit of a Vitamin D info nerd, since early in the pandemic. There's hundreds of interesting YouTube pieces on the topic. Here's a brief summary of the facts I believe to be of importance:
-- Vitamin D has an important role in "upregulating" and "downregulating" our immune system. Meaning, it helps prevent infection AND helps prevent our immune system from "over-reacting" to infection. Many of the Covid fatalities have occurred due to massive cytokine storm effects of the immune system (over-reaction of the immune system).
-- The groups at highest risk of fatality are also the groups that traditional are the most Vitamin D deficient. Dark skinned people (living in Northern climates) have a hard time making natural Vitamin D due to their skin pigment blocking UV-B rays. Obese people have issues maintaining healthy Vitamin D levels. And, old people have Vitamin D assimilation problems (as well as compromised immune systems related to aging).
-- Every person living at a latitude North of about Atlanta, will not be able to produce any natural Vitamin D from Nov-April. The angle of the sun is so low that all UV-B rays are blocked by the atmosphere.  Even during summer months, the window of effective sun exposure is limited to 10am-4pm. Some foods are Vitamin D fortified, but not enough to really help maintain Vitamin D blood serum levels that would be considered "sufficient" (above 30ng/ml).
-- Vitamin D3 supplements are dirt cheap and most advocates of Vitamin D supplementation take 2000-4000 IU's a day. It's pretty hard to overdose Vitamin D. I've been taking 4000 IU's a day for a year and my most recent blood assay showed a Vitamin D level of 35 ng/ml, which is well short of the 50 mg/ml level I'd like to achieve.

As to benefits of Zinc:
-- It has known anti-viral properties. And, many of the Covid fatalities (if tested) show either "deficiency or insufficiency" of blood serum zinc levels. Again, it is a very cheap supplement.

It's very easy to associate "correlation" between Vitamin D/Zinc and poor Covid infection outcomes. But it's almost impossible to show "causation" between those factors. After all, it wouldn't be ethical -OR- economical to test those principles. So, I intend to error on the side of taking the supplements vs. avoiding supplements.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »
That’s some darn good info there Northland!

I have been taking 5000 IUs but only once per week as prescribed by my Dr. But what does she know? She’s that told me to go on the cruise. LOL.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 08:28:21 PM »
I get a feeling of unease when taking too high doses of Vitamin D. The feeling is very close to having a full on panic attack.
It might be that I started taking too high doses right away.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322602

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 11:41:36 AM »
In Israel we are under lockdown, will be for another week.   Business is really quite but we get quite a lot of government aid.
My wife and I have both had our second Pfizer vaccination so in another few days we should be safe.
This is a nasty virus and if keeps changing, British, South African and now a new strain from California.
If you have a big stock of masks try and cut back, they say the cotton mask is not very effective with the new strains.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
I can say I think I am 100% over it now. Not fully recovered yet, something is wrong with my back and I still get waves of nausea out of the blue. But I do not have the sick feeling anymore, have energy.

Covid is no joke, my doctor thinks I had a moderate case, I can only imagine a severe case.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 10:22:03 PM »
Mike let's say your 80%, 100% your good, don't sound your there yet ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »
I can say I think I am 100% over it now. Not fully recovered yet, something is wrong with my back and I still get waves of nausea out of the blue. But I do not have the sick feeling anymore, have energy.

Covid is no joke, my doctor thinks I had a moderate case, I can only imagine a severe case.

Our neighbors had a bad case...they said they thought they were going to die for 3 weeks.  I can't imagine.  They are also the nicest couple.  They think they got it from their son in law when they helped them move.  He said it was allergies.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 01:37:46 PM »

Our neighbors had a bad case...they said they thought they were going to die for 3 weeks.  I can't imagine.  They are also the nicest couple.  They think they got it from their son in law when they helped them move.  He said it was allergies.

This is what scared us with my son wanting to visit over the holidays. Them young'uns are tough, and may well not realize that they are sick, but can kill us old fogies! I'd much rather be labeled as a paranoid snowflake than remembered as a dead denier.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »

This is what scared us with my son wanting to visit over the holidays. Them young'uns are tough, and may well not realize that they are sick, but can kill us old fogies! I'd much rather be labeled as a paranoid snowflake than remembered as a dead denier.

This is a good bet.  I am 40, I am not worried about it anymore than I am the flu for myself.  BUT, I don't want to be the one that kills my dad or my granddad.