Author Topic: Rio mixing system  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Croft

Rio mixing system
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:23:18 AM »
Not sure how to mix a color, I have a customer who has chose a Pantone colour but want a 70% tint of it, how would you do this.?

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
Re: Rio mixing system
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
Make up the pantone number by setting it to the 70% and then identifying the closest match to that in your art program. Or print a 30% halftone white over it.
What is the color? If I remember to check back I will tell you what I get. I don't use RIO system but that's what I'd do to get a pantone number for mixing.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »
When in doubt, I'd suggest that you have your client either pick his choice of the closest equivalent, or at the very least, okay yours.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »
When in doubt, I'd suggest that you have your client either pick his choice of the closest equivalent, or at the very least, okay yours.

Very much this.
Last thing you want is a bunch of "custom mixes" on the shelf that can't be identified/used for anything else.

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 12:58:56 PM »
Since it was a flesh/cream colour basically I ended up mixing it and adding white , but could see it being an issue with a darker colour. Was hoping maybe there was something in the program that would help.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »
Since it was a flesh/cream colour basically I ended up mixing it and adding white , but could see it being an issue with a darker colour. Was hoping maybe there was something in the program that would help.

Curious as to how exactly you determined that your result was indeed a 70% version of the desired Pantone color. (the reason I ask this is I know it's rare that my monitor, my printer, and most of my client's monitors and printers, and the inks themselves all agree with each other.)
btw, I would still always run it past the custy, so it's not on you.
It does sound however, in this instance, they gave you some wiggle room.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:10:19 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Croft

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »

Curious as to how exactly you determined that your result was indeed a 70% version of the desired Pantone color. (the reason I ask this is I know it's rare that my monitor, my printer, and most of my client's monitors and printers, and the inks themselves all agree with each other.)
btw, I would still always run it past the custy, so it's not on you.
It does sound however, in this instance, they gave you some wiggle room.

basically by eye , mixed the 100%pms color  printed a color block , and in this case added white  until the colour matched art on screen so yes not very scientific. It worked with this colour but I don't see it working on others, it was a flat spot colour so a halftone wouldn't have looked good. There just isn't a Pantone colour for everything