Author Topic: M&R CEO: "Screen Printing Will Survive" | A Conversation With M&R’s Danny Sweem  (Read 1381 times)

Offline printavo

Printavo sat down with Danny Sweem from The M&R Companies for an honest conversation about screen printing, DTG printing, and where the entire textile printing industry is heading for 2020. Check it out here: https://youtu.be/QXEpoNRq6po
https://www.printavo.com - Printavo, simple shop management software.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Wow what a great interview.

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
A incredible candid interview with Danny Sweem! A grand slam home run, in the last inning, last man
At the plate, 2 outs. He did not pull punches, nor did he blow smoke up my ....  . Is that better frog?
You could feel his pain through this at this time. Did not gloss things over. He won me at everything has
A sunset! So true. He is optimistic! And has his thoughts about the future are spot on. Not easy, but doable.
Also refreshing to see a CEO that doesnt have his head up his ...... still on track frog! A leader. It is not about him. Its about the team, his people, his customers, and even his competitors. A breath of fresh air
Which is the sign of a leader! Nice to see in this industry, and needed for a long time!
My hat is off!

Winston

• !!!
“ everything has a sunrise and a sunset”

Left out important part above “sunrise”

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Danny is a great man and a proven leader.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
A incredible candid interview with Danny Sweem! A grand slam home run, in the last inning, last man
At the plate, 2 outs. He did not pull punches, nor did he blow smoke up my ....  . Is that better frog?
You could feel his pain through this at this time. Did not gloss things over. He won me at everything has
A sunset! So true. He is optimistic! And has his thoughts about the future are spot on. Not easy, but doable.
Also refreshing to see a CEO that doesnt have his head up his ...... still on track frog! A leader. It is not about him. Its about the team, his people, his customers, and even his competitors. A breath of fresh air
Which is the sign of a leader! Nice to see in this industry, and needed for a long time!
My hat is off!

Winston

Sorry Winston, but back when the forum was first set up, in an effort to appeal to as wide an industry base as possible, a filter was installed for "naughty" words. I didn't always agree with some of the choices, but felt that perhaps it would at least drive members to become a little more imaginative and/or develop larger vocabularies!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member

You mind elaborating on this a little bit more?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:05:51 AM by Rockers »

Offline numbercruncher

A pretty darn fine interview. Certainly shows that Rich's successor is going to go all out for the industry. All segments of the economy will need people of this caliber to help the USA's recovery. May we all succeed.
Be safe and believe,,,
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

• !!!

You mind elaborating on this a little bit more?

I know Danny Sweem, He knows me. Not well. Well enough, that I would pick him up if he was standing with his thumb out "hitchhiking", And I am sure
And hope he would do the same! I have been a fan of M&R equipment through the years. I have had many friends that have been, and still are who
work for M&R. I have had a financial interest, with a company that had the world wide export rights for M&R, which included trade shows, sales, service,training.
I am not such a fan of the last CEO, mainly style and actions, however He does have my Respect . nuff said! When Danny became CEO, I thought to myself
Really good guy, but little equipment experience. And now the company owned by a private equity group? To be honest, just not sure. What I see is a "perfect
storm" . Digital printing has encroached, into the screen printing side faster and stronger than I imagined. I have been screen printing since 1975 when I needed laminate decals for my surfboards. I have printed Millions of shirts both manually and automated. First started printing Outdoor Billboards, Posters,
Decals, Circuit Boards, Membrane Switches, POP Displays, Textiles which include yardage,cut piece, And T -Shirts. Posters are my favorite to this day. I love
printing "serigraphs" the most. I love hand separating colors,sometimes up to 50 screens and seeing each color come to pass in real time. For me it is Magic!
In Reality, as far away from digital as you can get. I guess I am more an Analog Guy and prefer simple versus more has to be better! I love simple posterized prints. Digital prints are opposite. How many dots can you get in a given area. So I have seen the technologies competing, with screen printing being on the losing side. Reality weather we like it or not. I do believe screen printers are cutting their own throats, by trying to make screen prints compete
with digital. I would embrace the screen print side of the business and also DTG. I do like Direct to screen, as well as film. Hybrid printing! Like it or not is the
future for those whose want realistic looking art is a low cost manner. M&R i am sure knows this. IMHO Danny Sweem knows this also, and is steering the
company in the Digital plus Screen print direction. Should have been done 10 years ago. Now the Virus !!! It has changed and will change everything as we know it. It will be felt in the screen print industry big time. Nothing last forever. Never has. To me Danny is taking this situation with maturity. I watched his
composure, it was not staged. I guess I like the spirit of " i am going after Moby Dick in a row boat, with a jar of tarter sauce". Easy for all of us, just to give
up! Many will. I wont. It does not look like he will either. The book of Ecclesiastes says it all! I Believe a "new" season is upon us now. It will sunshine again
and soon for those who see opportunity. For those who don't, pretty tough.
Stay Well!
Winston

prints.

Offline printavo

Thanks guys! I definitely agree it was one of our best interviews. Danny's awesome!

- Bruce
https://www.printavo.com - Printavo, simple shop management software.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Agreed Winston. As my career may be diminishing, I am focusing on serigraphs (in some cases hand drawn stencils using litho crayon), etching, encaustic, colographs,monotypes, and mixed media of all types. Yes, I am going back to school a bit and taking tips from some of the greats long since past. I have all the equip and ancillary stuff in addition to a ton of substrates and inks, dyes, wax, etc.No apparel. I'll leave that to y'all to figure out the future but still here to chime in. Meanwhile, need to turn some of this into money. The page turns.
Best TP