Author Topic: DTS and MHM screens/bushings  (Read 5665 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
DTS and MHM screens/bushings
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »
One shop that I visited had problems with the screens not working well with the DTS. My thinking was that by using a similar setup as the FPU, the screens could be held in place and all the images would be perfectly registered from the get go. Their comment was that the pins were causing issues and they had to remove the jig from the DTS machine. Now they have to manually register the screens, which is a step in the wrong direction in my eyes.

I did not get the full story, but it sounded like the pins were off just enough to cause the head to contact the mesh every now and then. Not sure if that was it or not . . .

Does anybody here have any information they can share?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: DTS and MHM screens/bushings
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
Most DTS manufacturers have jigs set up for all the registration systems.  I would check into the lack of proper training.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
Roller or static?

DTS plus MHM should honestly be the ultimate in pre-reg, if they're having to step
backwards, someone is screwing the pooch.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »
Roller or static?

DTS plus MHM should honestly be the ultimate in pre-reg, if they're having to step
backwards, someone is screwing the pooch.

that was my thinking, but these guys are running 9 autos and print a boatload of shirts. I would imagine that they have a clue one and sill could not figure it out. At that level, the manufacturers are usually involved too, so it is just weird . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
If the DTS manufacturer didn't precisely manufacturer the bushings to the exact same specs as the ones on the press then that would be a good start.  But as far as the other things that most of us with using film, FPU and pallet jigs, there isn't much else that it could be.  The bushings, the artwork, or perhaps the printhead cannot repeat within the claimed .001" tolerance because of a defect...there isn't much more to look at.  I'd be willing to bet that many of the DTS manufacturers haven't had much practice in making the MHM compatible registration system machines and it could be a growing pain.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »
What's the tolerance on printhead/mesh (off)contact?

Roller pins should be very very close. I know the jig
for statics is good for the left-right positioning but not sure how it does on the
up-down.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »

for statics is good for the left-right positioning but not sure how it does on the
up-down.

I didn't think those printhead would be that close to the substrate but I've never really gotten a really good look at one operating.  If the printhead is hitting the screens on every one then it's the DTS machine that is screwed up, if it's random screens then the bushings on the screens aren't all the same from screen to screen which could really be messy from a production standpoint.

When putting the regi bushings on your screens, does the jig work so that the bushings are put in exactly the same location vertically so that your off contact is the same from screen to screen without having to adjust each head every time you put a different screen in?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
Our i-image system is compatible with the MHM pin bars as well as standard  and Newman frames. If they cannot use the frames without striking the head something is not set up right for the pin attachment system.
Rich Hoffman

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

up-down.

I didn't think those printhead would be that close to the substrate but I've never really gotten a really good look at one operating.  If the printhead is hitting the screens on every one then it's the DTS machine that is screwed up, if it's random screens then the bushings on the screens aren't all the same from screen to screen which could really be messy from a production standpoint.

When putting the regi bushings on your screens, does the jig work so that the bushings are put in exactly the same location vertically so that your off contact is the same from screen to screen without having to adjust each head every time you put a different screen in?

Yes, the template jig aligns everything. I think this is also where the problem comes from. The bushings holes on the EZ Frames are hard to drill and the bits break often. This leads me to believe that the placement might be off enough to cause issues. But since I don't really know, I emailed the guy I talked to for some more info. Stay tuned . . .

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
Our i-image system is compatible with the MHM pin bars as well as standard  and Newman frames. If they cannot use the frames without striking the head something is not set up right for the pin attachment system.

Rich,

do you have anybody using it with the bushings that could provide some feedback? I think the issues is on the bushing installation side rather than the printer. . .

pierre

Offline BorisB

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »

Rich,

do you have anybody using it with the bushings that could provide some feedback? I think the issues is on the bushing installation side rather than the printer. . .

pierre

I'm not Rich (or rich  :) ), but we use DTS with MHM Newman pin bars. System is set for static frames as well, just we haven't used them. Producer of DTS unit wasn't interested in building MHM jig, so we were on our own. We installed actual MHM's FPU unit on DTS. So far it works great. In four weeks using this system we had one screen that was of by 2 mm, all others were within registration mark line thickness which is 0,25 mm.
Printer that works on MHM says there are usually one or two clicks to perfect registration on max two screens. Clicks because this particular MHM has touch pad to move screen, no manual adjustments can be made. Click is 0,1mm I think.

I don't know how jig in shop Pierre visited works, but MHM noted it's very important to have same air pressure on Press and FPU.

Boris

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »

Rich,

pierre
We dont have anyone currently using it with bushings but give me a screen with the bushings and we will handle the rest
Rich Hoffman

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Rich,

I'll bring you one to Atlantic City. If you need it earlier, we can ship out.

pierre

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »
Rich,

pierre

Rich,

Make sure that the attachment is adjustable up and down . I have used 2 drill jigs and even had Sonny drill some screens and they are all a little different. A shop only using one drill jig will have the exact same placement. But if your making an attachment it will need to be adjustable up and down to be the right distance from the print head at each shop. I am sure your going to make it 100% adjustable. I just wanted to  let you know they are not all exact from shop to shop.

Offline BorisB

DTS and MHM screens/bushings
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »
Rich,

pierre

Rich,

Make sure that the attachment is adjustable up and down . I have used 2 drill jigs and even had Sonny drill some screens and they are all a little different. A shop only using one drill jig will have the exact same placement. But if your making an attachment it will need to be adjustable up and down to be the right distance from the print head at each shop. I am sure your going to make it 100% adjustable. I just wanted to  let you know they are not all exact from shop to shop.
you want to adjust up/down each time you put screen in?
Also on press you always have to adjust off contact? 
From video of I-image i assume you set distance with inner frame against which screen/mesh is pushed. bushings are lower and can vary in height to some extent. Yet mesh will still be tight and at same distance to printhead.

Boris