screen printing > General Screen Printing

Coating screens

<< < (2/4) > >>

ZooCity:
Toby, same circumstances here for me, I'm really earning my title of Chief Cook & Bottle Washer these days.   The opportunity to tune up departments and workflow is the silver lining to this.  That said, I'd be more than happy to collect my UI and do my part to flatten the curve by going fishing all day instead but I digress.

We coat everything 1/0 here, from the substrate side.   Thin thread "S" meshes stretched over roller frames here.

Thinner coatings are simply easier to manage throughout the process. 

Credit where it's due- Joe Clarke (RIP brother) knew this but had a hard time convincing textile printers of it, myself included.  Sonny McDonald advocated for a 1/0 coat for years and I also brushed that off.

Turns out, a low EOM screen not only makes a great screen at a far faster rate of coating than other methods but also provides downstream benefits galore.  It solved no less than 2 major bottlenecks and technical issues for us.   Our fancy pants LED exposure system had a problem with excessive heat and expo times from day one and it took care of that.  Reclaim felt slow at the emulsion removal stage, solved.   Even image resolving is almost too fast and far more consistent now.  It improves performance on press in a variety of ways.  I could go on.   

Frog:
Besides the type of mesh, wouldn't ink type also dictate the ideal EOM?

brandon:
Interesting thread and reading. Will be following and reviewing in house. Thank you everyone

ZooCity:

--- Quote from: Frog on April 10, 2020, 01:42:32 PM ---Besides the type of mesh, wouldn't ink type also dictate the ideal EOM?

--- End quote ---

I thought that for years, maybe a decade or more.  Turns out, not so much! 

It does require adjustments downstream if you are used to printing say, plastisol, through high EOM screens.  They are adjustments for the better though, at least on the autos they are.

farmboygraphics:
Curious, I coat 1/1 but use the sharp side. I did 1/0 when manual but found my screens breaking down at the edges of the squeegee on the manual so switched 1/1. Do most use the rounded edge only?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version