screen printing > General Screen Printing

Coating screens

<< < (3/4) > >>

Colin:
Whatever method you use to get between 5%-15% eom is what works.

Personally, I do 1x1 but I back off on the applied angle of the coating trough so it lays down less emulsion (monster max coater).

I always got skittish when thinking of the single coat technique for reasons listed above.

Do What Works!

Sbrem:

--- Quote from: farmboygraphics on April 10, 2020, 06:46:57 PM ---Curious, I coat 1/1 but use the sharp side. I did 1/0 when manual but found my screens breaking down at the edges of the squeegee on the manual so switched 1/1. Do most use the rounded edge only?

--- End quote ---

I didn't use the round edge as I always thought I had more control with the sharp edge, and would generally coat 2/2. As I started introducing S threads, it became 1/1. I can see using the round edge and coating once on the squeegee side, I would automatically be thinking I need the coat on the print side, most likely due to habit. But for saving time, I can coat more quickly on both sides than I can going very slowly on one side, just another take. In the end, are the prints good, and is the screen standing up?

Steve

tonypep:
Just don't coat on the bathroom floor and you will do much better!

Lizard:
I’m never going back to coating two sides. After a couple weeks of coating squeegee side only I can say the screens are as good or better than any screens we have ever made. And the process is faster than flipping the screens around. If we used an auto coated then I could see coating both side but not by hand.

ZooCity:
Last I looked into auto coaters, I liked the Grunig basic model best and it's a one side coater, which means only one trough to clean and that trough has a nice looking design, very compatible with an imaging workflow with multiple stations.

We hammer our screens with WB/DC/you name it and there's no issue.  Our expo isn't ideal either, we have a starlight which is pretty inferior in terms of UV spectral output to our old metal halide units.  No hardeners (maybe for ultra long runs), no post expo, etc.   The thin thread mesh simply doesn't require a coat on both sides, imo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version