Author Topic: Printing on Masks - Is it safe?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Printing on Masks - Is it safe?
« on: April 02, 2020, 01:01:32 PM »
Is it safe to print with plastisol on face masks?
Also how do you know that the mask is not infected?    Will the drying process kill the virus?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Printing on Masks - Is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
General thought is high temps will kill the virus so I would imagine a 300 plus exit temp most likely work but how do you keep them contamination free after that point? After that plastisol will block air passage through the mask, so counter productive at best. 

As far as printing how about a pad printer, a laser printer, using wider straps and printing them.
But why bother to commercialize something that is such a sensitive issue?
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
I've printed maybe 1 thousand masks in the past week. More than that this week, we are making transfers and ironing them on. We have a "wash before wear" label to put on the bag so it's not up to me to keep it clean.  I have more work than I can handle, selling them at 6.00ea..... I had to call in extra labor, I am beyond greatful for the work load but damn everyone wants them NOW.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 03:35:10 AM »
Soon it will be compulsory to wear masks.     The ones you buy are supposed to be used once and thrown away.     The material masks can be washed.
By printing you can put company logos or something funny, I will print something small it doesn't block airflow.       I think there will be a market for these.
One thing is that I have not seen children's size masks, might be a market for these.
I also figure that if I can get these masks onto social media it will be good advertising, need to think what's going to happen after Corona.
I'd like to find out more about the temperature needed to kill the virus, I am not so worried about my shop, more about the masks being infected by the sewers.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »

I'd like to find out more about the temperature needed to kill the virus, I am not so worried about my shop, more about the masks being infected by the sewers.

The B+C ones are produced without human handling. Pretty dope:

https://vimeo.com/400845501/fd3e762e3c

No virologist, but I'd sincerely doubt any virus could survive a trip through a 350F dryer.
Human pathogens tend to thrive in the same temps we run, hence fever being
our bodies fight back.

The whole thing opens up a litany of medical/legal/ethical issues though. Not unlike
printing Nomex gear.

Offline Northland