Author Topic: We cancelled our Holiday party, and I'm happy  (Read 1014 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
We cancelled our Holiday party, and I'm happy
« on: December 16, 2019, 04:26:38 PM »
We have had another good year, increasing sales by 20 some percent. I'm proud of our staff, from sales to shipping, and everyone in between. With the higher sales (and profit) we have decided to cancel our holiday party. (I still call it a Christmas party but don't care to offend anyone here). Rather than the party, we are going to use the money to buy gifts for a local group home for kids in need. We will also donate to a women's' shelter. In lieu of a party, we'll buy lunch and a few drinks the day before we break for the holidays, as well as pay them for the entire day. I'm proud that we can do all of this, along with the donations based on sales throughout the year. It's a great feeling to prosper every year, but it is a much better feeling to know that we are helping some of the less fortunate in our community. We don't really talk it up very much, but we do let the staff know that they are working for a company that cares about the community. Just some food for thought.

And Happy Holidays to all.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: We cancelled our Holiday party, and I'm happy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 04:37:23 PM »
Dave, just for the record, nobody is offended by "believers" mentioning their Christmas spirit, Christmas parties, shopping for Christmas presents, or that they are celebrating Christmas period..
Any offense, if any, is merely assuming that all celebrate that particular holiday of that particular faith.
Happy holidays is inclusive to all. Heck, Jesus celebrated Hanukah!
That said, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from your favorite agnostic amphibian!  ;)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 06:38:09 PM »
Wow. I thought the only kind of party people in Iowa knew about was the kind in the middle of a corn field with whatever 30 pack of lite beer was on sale. Regardless of the weather or if there is even corn growing....  ;D ;D ;D

Good for you guys. Cool that you have a team that is all on board for the noble efforts! 

Side note, "gifts for kids" you mean like tractor parts and new horse shoes?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 07:12:37 AM »
We have had another good year, increasing sales by 20 some percent. I'm proud of our staff, from sales to shipping, and everyone in between. With the higher sales (and profit) we have decided to cancel our holiday party. (I still call it a Christmas party but don't care to offend anyone here). Rather than the party, we are going to use the money to buy gifts for a local group home for kids in need. We will also donate to a women's' shelter. In lieu of a party, we'll buy lunch and a few drinks the day before we break for the holidays, as well as pay them for the entire day. I'm proud that we can do all of this, along with the donations based on sales throughout the year. It's a great feeling to prosper every year, but it is a much better feeling to know that we are helping some of the less fortunate in our community. We don't really talk it up very much, but we do let the staff know that they are working for a company that cares about the community. Just some food for thought.

And Happy Holidays to all.

Good on you sir!

Each year we give to our local Shop With A Cop Charity. Cops select kids they run into over the years in broken homes or that are just not doing well in general. We gave 10k this year just like the last 3 years. It feels great and its the right thing to do.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 08:08:40 AM »
God bless you all -
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
Merry Christmas!!!

Winston

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
Here here! Well played Dave and all. I made a tiny donation to a woman who lost her sister to a tragic murder and now has two more mouths to feed. It was all I could give but she cried anyway.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
You know as well as I Tony. It's not the amount, it's the thought.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 07:42:18 PM »
Of course. My GF was in town and treated me to a Taco Night/ painting course for a Christmas present. It was wonderful even though acrylics are not my favorite medium. And that is where and how we found out. All donated and didn't you know we won the raffle. Could not transfer the ticket but we will find a way. Part two tomorrow but it involves today and an older man and his precious bookstore that no one knew existed.