Author Topic: Windows 7 is done, but we're not done with Windows 7... what to do?  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Prince Art

Win 7 support ends in January 2020, after which time it's allegedly a bad idea to access the 'net with it. But... I don't want to upgrade, due in part to other software I use. Anyone else in the same boat? What's your plan? It's been suggested that we could install a sandboxed version of Linux, and use a web browser from within that for most internet access. I don't know if that would work or not, haven't had time to investigate yet.

Thoughts?
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Windows 7 is done, but we're not done with Windows 7... what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
Win 7 support ends in January 2020, after which time it's allegedly a bad idea to access the 'net with it. But... I don't want to upgrade, due in part to other software I use. Anyone else in the same boat? What's your plan? It's been suggested that we could install a sandboxed version of Linux, and use a web browser from within that for most internet access. I don't know if that would work or not, haven't had time to investigate yet.

Thoughts?

Though Microsoft will no longer be supporting Win 7 with security patches, how effective would our anti-virus programs remain if not making the move to Win10?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:25:15 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
Just finishing upgrading the whole network. Its a pain, but has to be done. It was also an opportunity to upgrade some older boxes and update the backup system.
If you do them one at a time it is manageable. I had the new computer on the side and just clicked on it when i had time. After the first one was done, i backed it up and restored to the others. Had and office image and another one for production.

It’s been a long process, but are almost done and am glad we did it. Everybody’s computers are running much faster and smoother.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
Same as Pierre. Not fun or cheap. Upgrading about 20 computers as well as a new server. I think everyone is looking forward to the new and improved, except the financial guy.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Ron Pierson

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 01:39:27 PM »
We just re-did 35 PC's. Win 10 runs smoothly but I see no improvement. There are real horror stories about updates out there. I suggest you read up on them. We have been hit with upgrades we didn't want and it has "removed printers, start menus, ect" we turned off all upgrades and will manage them personally rather than allow Microsoft to do it robo style. It seems that Microsoft doesn't test anymore, they feed updates to us and we are the guinea pigs for them. With enough complaints, they will fix issues.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
All Mac here, with the exception of our shipping computer running Windows 7. So I guess for that it's simple enough to pickup a new box or laptop to run UPS and FedEx with Windows 10 pre-installed and have my IT person make the swap from there? I'm not comfortable enough on the PC side to mess around too much. The hardware is kind of old too...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »
So far windows 10 has done an OK job of being compatible.  We do have one Win7 machine we have to keep so T-quoter can communicate with Quickbooks.  It just won't do it on Win10 no matter what we've tried.  It's not a computer that gets a lot of use but it has good antivirus and anti-ransomware on it.  Probably not a bad idea to keep a machine running 7 if you have to, I just would use it for internal stuff mostly, not email and web browsing.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
I still have an 1 old win XP running and yes I run it on the web and have found no problems, but now the new computers with the auto upgrades gives us fits some mornings and they have changed stuff around, turning auto upgrade off has helped.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 09:55:29 AM »
Is anyone running pre-CC versions of Adobe CS in compatibility mode on Win 10? Is that an option? I have other concerns about switching, but that's a big one.

@3Deep: I'm amazed XP is working for you on the 'net! Prior to Win 7, while XP was still supported,  I lost count of the viruses/trojans that took down my XP machine. And that was w/ antivirus apps installed. Win 7 has been trouble-free, but my antivirus is Windows Defender, & I'm afraid it may let me down after support ends.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »
@Prince I am too, we've had more problems with the new computers with the auto upgrade changing stuff up until I stopped auto upgrade LOL...I've even got an old XP that runs our embroidery stuff but it's not online.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »
Is anyone running pre-CC versions of Adobe CS in compatibility mode on Win 10? Is that an option? I have other concerns about switching, but that's a big one.

We run CS6 on Win10 with zero issues.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »

We run CS6 on Win10 with zero issues.

That's good to know - thank you!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline easyrider1340

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »
I just upgraded my PC to Win10.  CS6 is running fine.   

Terry
http://www.AllegiantGraphics.com
https://www.Facebook.com/AllegiantGraphics
https://www.Instagram.com/AllegiantGraphics
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
You guys who upgraded, do you do a clean install, or is there a less drastic option?
Also, the advice is always to back up, but with a clean install, doesn't everything on the C drive need to be re-installed anyway?
The upgrade to Win 10 doesn't affect any other drive does it?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline easyrider1340

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »
You guys who upgraded, do you do a clean install, or is there a less drastic option?
Also, the advice is always to back up, but with a clean install, doesn't everything on the C drive need to be re-installed anyway?
The upgrade to Win 10 doesn't affect any other drive does it?

Mine was an upgrade, nothing lost or reinstalled.  MS still signing the free upgrade BTW. 

Terry
http://www.AllegiantGraphics.com
https://www.Facebook.com/AllegiantGraphics
https://www.Instagram.com/AllegiantGraphics
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk