Author Topic: Hand folding and bagging  (Read 1460 times)

Offline avogel

Hand folding and bagging
« on: October 04, 2019, 05:03:07 PM »
We have recently started doing more of this and in higher quantities. I am looking for some detailed help from people who do this to make us more efficient. The folding is fine, but the bagging and adding size sticker is really slow. We use poly bags from uline that peel and stick.
Anyone willing to share bagging details? Specific bag, or techniques that make this more efficient? Right now, one person bags and stickers about 60 per hour.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Hand folding and bagging
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »
I don't bag, but if I did, I'd probably make some sort of slide that, like a funnel, goes a lttle into the bags.
1. Slip bag onto slide
2. Slide shirt into bag
3.Close bag
4. Add size sticker (or, bags could be pre-labled)
I can't imagine that these would each take a minute.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »
we hand fold/bag still, even though we are doing thousands of shirts at a time...it sucks.  we use flip folds, taped down, with bags that fold close vs peel and stick.  we use avery label sheets, off brands arent as easy to peel consistently.  There are some label gun options that work well also with roll labels, but you have to be doing large amounts of the same sku, and we have unique sku's for everything, lots of variance.  the fastest i can do the whole process is around 200 units an hour all in for any period of time.  I've heard of people doing more than twice that, but im not sure if theyre folding, bagging, tagging, and boxing as part of those numbers, or doing it for an extended period of time.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 06:58:27 AM »
We picked up a used semi-auto bagger from someone on this forum. Even though they can be quirky, it is so much faster that manually bagging. Once you get it down, and get into a rhythm, we can do around 400 plus an hour with no problem. That includes putting a size sticker on the bag.

Offline avogel

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
Mimosa - Where do you get your bags? The slow part is getting the bag open and getting the shirt slid in. We have tried several methods but haven't found anything that is any faster.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
I think they come from uline or someplace similar. Cost 1 or 2 cents a bag i think. We slip them over the bottom of the flip fold and shove the shirt in. Its very easy and very fast.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »
We fold a lot but send it out to old age pensioners.
Didn’t pay us to do it in house.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
Weve tried temps and straight up outsourcing. Made more sense to use seasoned production folks who dont slack ass or mix up skus when stickering. Couple dollars an hour more in labor up front saves a lot down the road.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 03:46:25 AM »
We pay per piece so don't care how fast they work.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:10:36 AM »
we have deadlines and turn time goals, plus space constraints etc.  speed and accuracy are paramount for us, especially considering the volume we have started needing.  been trying to get enough room for an autobagger for a while, but still not in the cards.  available commercial space in our area is crap and pricey.