Author Topic: emulsion breakdown under squeegee  (Read 2338 times)

Offline downtowntshirts

• Verified/Junior
emulsion breakdown under squeegee
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:21 AM »
hey guys,
  im new to this board. took me a while to get off that other board. anyway, been printing automatically for about five years. like to think im pretty good at it but i have a problem. my emulsion breaks down and i get dots under the spot where the squeegee stops at the end of the print stroke. i think that i am processing screens well. we scrub with ink degrader, take the emulsion out with emulsion remover and then degrease and dehaze and then rinse very well. we then coat 2 strokes on each side. and we use chromablue emulsion. any tips on stopping this breakdown and also pinholes.
thanks,
tom

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: emulsion breakdown under squeegee
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I am certainly not the go-to guy on automatic problems, but perhaps your problem is something as simple as too much pressure on either the flood or print stroke.
Pinholes are almost always due to dust, and can be helped with better hygiene.

And, we're glad that you found your way here.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »
the adhesive on the platen is pulling the emulsion off the screen.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
Run a piece of tape where the squeegee starts and stops. Is it happening on long or short runs? Either way tape both the start and stopping points and you wont ever have that issue.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
Make sure you coat your screens smoothly and slowly. Quick coats will cause bubbles that can pop later in the run. Be sure the squeegee rubber is rounded at the corners. Somethings wrong if you are de-hazing each time. Most people use an ink remover than combo reclaim-dehaze product. Two step process.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
Sounds like your stencils are too thin coupled with your squeegee pressure being too much yet the main culprit is most likely too thin of a stencil.

Tape obviously will work yet is only masking the problem.  Try looking into your coating process and see if the issue lies there.
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
I notice he said degrease before dehazing, shouldn't that be reversed. And yes only dehaze if absolutely needed but Easiway 701 is a great combo product.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
Run a piece of tape where the squeegee starts and stops. Is it happening on long or short runs? Either way tape both the start and stopping points and you wont ever have that issue.
Exactly what I do.... But I have a V squeegee but I am sure it works for the others also.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »
Have you checked your screen Moisture levels? I am just guessing because of the change in the season. A well made screen sould never break down.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
Have you checked your screen Moisture levels? I am just guessing because of the change in the season. A well made screen sould never break down.
agree 100% Something is happening in the screen prep. I don't think degreasing before dehazing is what is causing this issue.  Can play with the entire screen falling apart yet not like what is being described
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
Make sure you coat your screens smoothly and slowly. Quick coats will cause bubbles that can pop later in the run. Be sure the squeegee rubber is rounded at the corners.

^^^^ Take this advice above and you'll likely solve the issue.^^^^

This also means you are probably printing with sharp blades which is a good thin.  We're manual printers, I've had this issue on longer runs and I'm fairly confident our screens are properly prepped, coated, fully exposed.  The fact that you are seeing this issue only on the corners of the blade and not across the length of it's edge indicates you just need to round off those corners in my opinion as your screen is capable of withstanding the squeegee passes, just not the increased gouging that happens on the corners. 

Purely technically speaking, this shouldn't be an issue if you had absolutely perfect blade contact to the stencil but nobody does or really needs to if the setup is making good prints so round them corners.

Somethings wrong if you are de-hazing each time. Most people use an ink remover than combo reclaim-dehaze product. Two step process.

If you mean the caustic dehazers then yes, something would be very wrong.  The gentler types such as Franmar's D-haze are meant to be used as part of each reclamation cycle and we use it on every screen, every time.  When rinsed it does create it's own degreaser but I don't like to pull a screen out of the booth right after dehazing and put it to dry in the hot box, they always have issues from the lingering dehazer mist or something.  So, we degrease as a final step after thoroughly rinsing the booth and ventilating.  Murkami recommends a dedicated ink removal/degrading station, a seperate washout booth for degreasing and resolving screens only and another for reclaim and I couldn't agree more but that ain't going to happen around here for a minute unless santa brings us a second, large washout booth.

I believe liquid renuit is meant to be used in a similar manner as the D-haze?

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
I had that issue before
one thing i would try is to after you burned your image in the screen
to rinse the image with a high pressured water in one corner of the screen if it peels to easy
you need to increase your exposure time

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »

Somethings wrong if you are de-hazing each time. Most people use an ink remover than combo reclaim-dehaze product. Two step process.

If you mean the caustic dehazers then yes, something would be very wrong.  The gentler types such as Franmar's D-haze are meant to be used as part of each reclamation cycle and we use it on every screen, every time.  When rinsed it does create it's own degreaser but I don't like to pull a screen out of the booth right after dehazing and put it to dry in the hot box, they always have issues from the lingering dehazer mist or something.  So, we degrease as a final step after thoroughly rinsing the booth and ventilating.  Murkami recommends a dedicated ink removal/degrading station, a seperate washout booth for degreasing and resolving screens only and another for reclaim and I couldn't agree more but that ain't going to happen around here for a minute unless santa brings us a second, large washout booth.

I believe liquid renuit is meant to be used in a similar manner as the D-haze?

Liquid Renuit is probably gentle enough to use each time, but often an unnecessary step and/or expense (though it does also cover the degrease step as well).
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?