Author Topic: Pique - WOW?  (Read 1615 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Pique - WOW?
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
We know the deal, or at least the way I see it. Pique is less than perfect for screen printing, better suited for embroidery (often also because of the generally higher price)
Some clients insist though, and I am looking at a two color print. I am thinking of taking the extra step and flashing because I figure due to the texture, zigs from one print may not line up perfectly with the zags on the next.
Thoughts?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Pique - WOW?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
Depends on the pique. Is it smoother or deep valleys.
I've used a low mesh first down white with no off contact and no flood just to fill the voids first. Flash then hit with a 160 mesh white to make it flat and smooth, flash that and colorize it.

It's extra steps but makes the finished print look smooth.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
Wow! That's pretty thorough.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
I've used a touch of the UNion 3d ink mixed with whatever color you would want. I did it on maroon pique polos. Used a 110 p/f/p. 2 color job.

Came out smooth as a babys bottom.

Killer likes puff.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
This should work for pique too
How To Screen Print Tee Shirts: Sleeves & Ribbed Tank Tops

Get gallon of WM white, it has some puff in it. At first I loved the ink, but then I have realized that Alan was right, it gets too puffy for detailed work.
I need to get another white for halftones, I will use WM for ribbed tank tops and spot jobs with big white areas.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »
Thanks
All good suggestions, but only John's  method addressed my concern of printing two colors on a light pique shirt, wet on wet, because of the textured edges picked up by the next screen, and then offset to the next shirt.

On a dozen or two shirts, John's method is pretty involved and would add a lot of cost, and it too would only be wet on wet after the smoothing "body filler" is added.

The shirts have arrived, Gray Port K 320's, and they are not as rough as I had feared, but nonetheless, I expect extra care will be needed.
I don't have puff additive, or 3D additive, and the shirts are due Tuesday, so will just make the best of it, flashing between the black and the orange.

I will use the technique of a first heavy stroke, driving the ink below the peaks, and into the valleys followed by a lighter stroke, not dissimilar to the way I learned to do whites, though counter to the "keep it on the surface" mantra of plastisol in general.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
On 2 doz, just flash 'em and be done with it.  Unless you have some art that actually needs to be printed wet-on-wet, no need to stress about not using that method right?  It's a little extra time but not too much on a short run.   If I had 600 of these to bang out I'd be looking into my method a little harder.