Author Topic: Black ink for an underbase  (Read 1336 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Black ink for an underbase
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:55:41 PM »
Anyone every use black ink for an underbase, I'll be printing some cherry red shirts and my ink colors are metallic gold, sliver and black.  I know the gold and sliver really don't need an underbase but I was thinking of using the black for an underbase to make the silver and metallic gold pop plus maybe only hitting them once so the print won't be so thick.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:21:17 AM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Black ink for an underbase
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 11:27:26 PM »
Haven't done it for that specific reason, but sounds legit.  Makes sense that it would give the gold and met more pop, but I might be seeing it differently in my head.  Maybe post up the art in question.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
We did some shirts recently with the opposite, metallic silver as a base, and a royal blue over the top; it gave the royal a touch of shimmer. So, I don't see why your idea wouldn't work, Darryl.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »
Good something to think about, because I know the silver and metallic are heavy inks anyway.  @ Dan here is a peek at the art that I'm working on.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »
Anyone every use black ink for an underbase, I'll be printing some cherry red shirts and my ink colors are metallic gold, sliver and black.  I know the gold and sliver really don't need an underbase but I was thinking of using the black for an underbase to make the silver and metallic gold pop plus maybe only hitting them once so the print won't be so thick.

Any time we've underbased shimmers (assuming you are talking about shimmers and not actual metallics) we've always gone back
and removed it. You need the porosity of the fabric to make the particles "stand up" if you will.