Author Topic: Just bought a 3d Printer  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Just bought a 3d Printer
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
Technically it's a kit and it's coming from China.

FDM style.

That is all. :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Just bought a 3d Printer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Technically it's a kit and it's coming from China.

FDM style.

That is all. :)

Wow, I would have expected you to have done this a long time ago and be cranking out plastic handguns.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
Yes... ironically I've never found many times I would really want to print something.  I mean, obviously everyone could come up with a part or two.

But nothing to justify the cost.

Not MUCH has changed... except the cost has come down significantly. :)

I also have a few more ideas to print as well now.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
Is it a decent quality set of parts?  Ball bearings, chromed rails, nice steppers, good electronics, etc?

I've seen a lot of inexpensive kits with inexpensive parts, but it seems like in the long run that would cost more.  :)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
Many who know me, know I do WAY too much research typically. LOL

It's got it's weak points for sure... but the support community (like this one) that is out there is big and the CORE parts are respectable.

Most of it's weak points (acrylic bracing and brackets) can be 3d printed as soon as you are done and replaced for strength or for when they break.  Few components are expensive to replace/upgrade.

The bed support is acrylic so it has some flex and ideally one would replace with aluminum or carbon fiber and the hot end is a chinese clone so at some point that might be something worth replacing that is on the more expensive side.  Auto leveling option isn't worth getting, upgrading that later could possibly be cheap depending on which direction I go.

It's X and Y is belt driven which are manually tensioned by pulling the belt's loose end tighter which is lame, but there are of course parts to be 3d printed that create adjustable tensioners on the pulleys.

So... all and all, I'll probably spend another $25-$50 bucks upgrading it shortly after I get it with a few components and the cost of filament to print out better parts and pulleys.

Z axis is a single sided lead screw/motor... some point down the line I may make it a dual lead screw/motor but many don't have any problems with it.

It's 200x200x200... so it's not that big.

Tevo Tarantula for any of those that are into these things and care.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
Considering the extrusion/bearing interface, I'd guess it should hold accuracy well even as it wears.

Seems like most of the nasty issues you hear about boil down to accuracy (losing steps, mechanical play) or slipping extruders/hotend clogs.
I'd assume for how many have shipped that any problems have been reasonably well documented.

Good luck, hopefully you don't need it.  ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
Yeah, it's popularity is what gives me the confidence despite it's short comings.

As I browse thingiverse I really start to open my mind to all the things I might be able to make with this thing that might help us.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 04:29:15 PM »
We have a Replicator 2X that sits idle.  Was used for a project for DTG printing but that is pretty much complete.

I always want to use it but just don't know what for - so let us know what you end up making with yours.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
You will end up with 14 crescent wrenches and 49 gears.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »
I was impressed with the parts coming off one of them I saw at a science fair I took my daughter to.  They seemed pretty legit.  The early stuff I saw was easily breakable and frankly a joke.  It also doesn't help that they were printing stupid little things that would sit on a shelf and collect dust.

Good luck with it.  You'll have to show us some of the stuff you're doing.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »
Speaking of stupid little things that would sit on a shelf.

When I was at Disney, Our Printing facility shared space (same connected building) to the Fixtures and Displays dept.
There was one artist there on that side. She was mainly a sculpture artist. She did the master sculps for characters on fixtures around the parks. Even just some regular sculpts for sitting on a mantel or shelf. Pretty cool. They got a 3D printer in and was just beginning to use it. I had to go next door to take a peak. At first it was kinda crude but they got it to eventually worked well enough for them.  That was waaay back in 1999, So 18 years ago.  I imagine it's a part of their every day use now. Heck, the art departments probably has one in each department.

So for many, we look at it like "what tool can we build" while there are many other uses, like "what product can we produce ourselves in house, customize and sell?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
So for many, we look at it like "what tool can we build" while there are many other uses, like "what product can we produce ourselves in house, customize and sell?

Yeah, I bet some people in the awards & engraving business could [will] find some ways to make a tidy profit with one of those, without even going out on much of a limb. Just need the right idea to sell to people. Untapped profit potential is waiting there for others, too, no doubt.

And that 1999 date on your story reminds that few "new" things are as new as they seem. Early adopters with deep pockets have played with most tech long before it reaches the mainstream. (*Cough* inline dtg on auto presses *cough* not going away)  ;)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 01:20:17 AM »
We have a Replicator 2X that sits idle.  Was used for a project for DTG printing but that is pretty much complete.

I always want to use it but just don't know what for - so let us know what you end up making with yours.

Digging around Thingiverse has given me a few ideas here and there.  Obviously some escape room stuff... either props, puzzles or just conversation pieces for the lobby.

A few doodads and gadgets are planned for around the house.  Nothing that is even worth the money I'm paying for the printer... but hopefully it will be enough one off pieces that make sense to have bought it.

You know that whole "quality of life" type of purchases. ;) ;)