Author Topic: Letter from AlphaBroder and SanMar  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Letter from AlphaBroder and SanMar
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »
I've received a letter, as I'm most of us have, from AlphaBroder and SanMar jointly, and i urge all to at least read the letter, and give it some consideration.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ffokazak

Re: Letter from AlphaBroder and SanMar
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
I have yet to receive it, what is it regarding?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
SanMar and alphabroder are coming together to ask for your help.

February 17, 2017

Dear colleagues and friends,

SanMar and alphabroder are coming together - something we don't normally do - to ask for your help in opposing what might be the greatest threat to our industry in a generation. We are hoping that this joint appeal will communicate the urgency and gravity of this issue.

Last year, as part of a broader effort to reform corporate tax laws, House Republicans published a tax proposal which incorporates a "border adjustability tax," which would impose a tax of 20% on all imports into the United States. Because our industry is so heavily dependent on imports and will be for the foreseeable future, the impact of border adjustability would be immediate, devastating and long-lasting.

While we do not want to take anything away from Made in USA products or the industries that produce goods in America, the manufacturing and labor base of the apparel industry, like many others, is largely absent from this country and has been for decades. It is simply impractical and unrealistic to assume that such a large, across-the-board punitive tax on imports will somehow bring garment factories and their workers back to the United States.

The reality is that this tax will disrupt global business, cause job losses at American companies relying on imports and lead to significant increases in prices on a wide variety of consumer goods, including the products your business relies on. For a typical reseller in our industry, more than 95% of their current apparel offerings would be subject to substantial price increases.

Details of the plan have not yet been released but it is clear that - absent significant changes or elimination of this proposal altogether - our industry will be asked to fund tax reform that will be enjoyed by other companies.

We need your help to communicate our shared concerns with your elected representatives in the House and Senate. Many of you have built your businesses from scratch and have unique stories to share. Your voices are powerful and we urge you to reach out to Congress to share your concerns. The fate of our industry relies on you.

Please email the House and Senate members who represent you. All you need to do is follow this link - http://click.em.sanmar.com/?qs=37cbfad1df0d29d75495bf6360fe7bde364dced1314a9f989b20a1ebd36c21102d8743a55726e9d1f02817ce62933c6a4770c5bee848c2a1 , type in your address and zip code and hit send. A letter will automatically be sent to Congress, and you will be given an opportunity to invite others to take similar action. We also encourage you to call your representatives and voice your concerns to them directly. To find your elected officials' contact information, follow this link -
http://click.em.sanmar.com/?qs=37cbfad1df0d29d7dec0cf2d92bb3f2c510e7220664725a6eec855f098da4058a099dc9cae2cd7c9b087100768cb993cd3ab95c983273282 .

A formal coalition recently launched to oppose this dangerous border adjustability tax. The name of the coalition is Americans for Affordable Products and the coalition's website - http://click.em.sanmar.com/?qs=37cbfad1df0d29d7a7e67f322db01aa86ccc082955c65876f572035fe42e1b07c3f34b47c354e14260c40bae83e933a2c33e3ffce25c0d0a - contains valuable information and resources. Should you wish to join the coalition or discuss ways in which you can best take action on the issue, please contact the coalition through its website.

Your urgent attention to this is necessary so we can effectively raise our concerns to ensure that tax reform is not done at our industry's expense.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Lott
President, SanMar

Norman Hullinger
CEO, alphabroder
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
You Guys need to resist this as much as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau resisted Trumps handshake! haha!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »
20% incoming product tax.... Seems like a lot of stuff would cost 20% more.....

It would give the US manufacturers an advantage, but that would still mean stuff is more expensive on the shelf.

And to top it off, a lot of the cheapest labor is being made to feel very unwelcome. As presented I'd bet inflation could easily eclipse 20% as a direct result, so it would take more than a 20% increase in take home to break even.

I don't see it ending up doing anyone any good, except the 20% tax collectors...
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
This is news well worth considering. If anyone knows another side to the story, I'd be interested in hearing it. (I obviously haven't researched it yet.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Online Crazy Mike

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »
I sent a reply back to SanMar, they may quit selling to me now.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:28 PM »
I'm curious as to your reasoning?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »
I don't want to drift down a political avenue, but I really don't think it will happen.  The strongest bloc of voters for Trump are the blue collar and middle class.  A lot of which shop at places like Walmart, Target, Auto Zone, Home Depot and so on.  Virtually all of retail is overrun with imported goods.  This would hit Trump's base the hardest and turn those folks against him, and I think he knows it.

I could be wrong though.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
I don't want to drift down a political avenue, but I really don't think it will happen.  The strongest bloc of voters for Trump are the blue collar and middle class.  A lot of which shop at places like Walmart, Target, Auto Zone, Home Depot and so on.  Virtually all of retail is overrun with imported goods.  This would hit Trump's base the hardest and turn those folks against him, and I think he knows it.

I could be wrong though.

I would give neither the benefit of the doubt on that.

If anyone has an idea of how to compete against $0.13/hr wages I'm all ears. Anyone not involved in manufacturing
and particularly textiles can't seem to grasp that concept.

Online Crazy Mike

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:45:22 PM by Crazy Mike »

Offline aauusa

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
here is a little more info on the subject which is what is coming up this spring in the house and senate

very unbiased view

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=3ce43c8d-30ec-4056-a9fc-a6d6e7af6aaa

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
There is a planet money podcast on this.  I'm no economist and forgot most of the mechanics but the jist is that it's not a new concept and some,  ah....more qualified individuals feel it has legs.
http://pca.st/fKVS

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »
This will change 20x over before it happens. I wish more shirts were made here but know it will never happen again.

A 20% increase is like $.35 to most of us on a shirt?

I just raised my prices $1 to cover USPS increases and it will cover me on any price increases for this.

It is what it is. Taxation is theft.