Author Topic: Faded Look  (Read 2683 times)

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
Faded Look
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
Hey all. Im trying to replicate a look for a customer that they had printed previously someplace else. Super simple artwork that has a faded look to it. I attached some pics. When looking at some of their sample shirts, the fades seemed pretty consistent from shirt to shirt, so I feel like their previous printer had it done in the artwork, not on press. My question would be how to get the faded look without halftones. I don't think that a dot pattern would replicate this look very well. Maybe a vector type filter, but then the edges of the fade would get to hard.

My other thoughts were to just go waterbase on a 305 and give it a light print, but the consistency might not be there. Im by no means an artist, the creative side of my brain does not work! Thanks in advance.

Offline Ross_S

Re: Faded Look
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
Are those the samples they gave you to match?  I mean come on those look old as hell they got holes.  That could of been a black print or dark grey that eventually faded out from washing and sun exposure or something similar.  Point is are you sure they are just not asking for a soft print with a similar distress filter?

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:13:09 PM »
they are actually a custom shirt. some company literally shoots them with buckshot. they are actually pretty cool. the sample pic that i uploaded is of an unworn shirt.

but yes, essentially I'm trying for a soft print with a similar distress. i guess my question is how to get a similar distress.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
they are actually a custom shirt. some company literally shoots them with buckshot. they are actually pretty cool. the sample pic that i uploaded is of an unworn shirt.

but yes, essentially I'm trying for a soft print with a similar distress. i guess my question is how to get a similar distress.

I have found my calling....that is AWESOME...distress filters? naw. SHOOT IT.. ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
I would say that is a two color print. Blue and Grey. I would also say, you can do it with a halftone distressed texture (or with bitmap texture patters) that are actually a solid. As in, no rip needed...but it needs to be close to solid fill with some of the lighter grey peaking/showing through underneath.. About 70% solid and adjsut curves on the next screen to allow some of this other color to show through...and use high mesh. 230-305 with inks based out.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »
what if you don't rinse the screens out all the way? leave some of the emulsion in the screen. just a thought.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »
halftones should be fine for that...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
what if you don't rinse the screens out all the way? leave some of the emulsion in the screen. just a thought.

Good idea, but not very repeatable. What if he wants a reorder 6 months later? Tough to remember what you did unless you doc well.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »
Years ago i would use a laser printer with vellum positive on 305 mesh and rinse out very little. Save the screen for the summer. That example looks hard to reproduce.

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »
Save yourself some headaches; not that your not getting good information.  Make a distress filter that is relatively close to the sample provided.  Print a shirt and call the customer for an onsite sample.  At least then it will take the guessing out and they will either like it or give examples of what needs edited.  It's just my thought and seems faster than asking for advice here for a few days (You could of already done the sample)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
I think you can get a free distressed filter download from Advanced artist web site. If not simply go into any of the vector sources on the web and look into grunge designs you will find something there.
If that doesn't work that the finished shirts to someone who can SANDBLAST them that should be all the distress you will ever need ::)
mooseman
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:00:29 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »
ha. ill avoid the sandblasting :) we found a pretty light distress filter and make a few different films. we are going burn some screens and do a few tests tomorrow.i know its not going to be exact and the customer knows that too. just a similar look is all we are shooting for. ill be sure to post an update.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
Mister retro

Offline TH Apparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:32:50 AM »
print the film and take a bit of sandpaper and scratch off areas on the film positive.  Will be easy to replicate later on(assuming you save the film).

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
still want to mess around with the filter more but here is the first test print we did. we need to add a little more distress i think.  really based out plastisol on a 305. it has barely any hand. definitely a cool look.