Author Topic: Halftone reproduction target film-made on Epson 4880  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Halftone reproduction target film-made on Epson 4880
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:05:31 AM »
Similar to the film from Chromaline. Mine goes in 5% steps  starting from 5% halftones to 95% above and below I go in 1% steps.
Result was that with the Murakmai Sp-1400 we can hold up to 3% dots o nthe lower end and 85% on the upper end. 65 lpi printed with  Wasatch SoftRip. Now the problem I have is not so much the results on the scren but rather the film itself. Starting at 85% to 95% it`s all a mush on the film, I can`t really tell the difference between 85%, 90 % and 95% might as well be all 100%. What might be the reason for that? Maybe too much ink laid down on the film?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Halftone reproduction target film-made on Epson 4880
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
 Speech texting so excuse the errors until I can correct them later.

I imagine Wasatch would have some type of.gain control and adjust section that they call them different things for different programs but accu Rip for example has a.gain compensation.  Now they claim that their settings should be great for Screenprinter's and should not need adjusted he may have or I'm sure he did make some adjustments that are pretty good for people or people over all but  I know that mine is off as well and since I don't do a lot of halftones at my company in the day I know that I don't need to focus on it too much right now but I will. What I will do when what I would first say to you is you probably need to find your sweet spot for your ink resolution 1200 by 900 1400 x 1200 whatever it is and also adjust your droplet wait. Try some halftone prince and adjust till you start to see better results.

The key though is really in the dot gain control because you may in order to hold your halftones currently, you may need an Ink resolution that is not dense enough. So eventually will want to find and adjust your. compensation section in your rip.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »
Similar to the film from Chromaline. Mine goes in 5% steps  starting from 5% halftones to 95% above and below I go in 1% steps.
Result was that with the Murakmai Sp-1400 we can hold up to 3% dots o nthe lower end and 85% on the upper end. 65 lpi printed with  Wasatch SoftRip. Now the problem I have is not so much the results on the scren but rather the film itself. Starting at 85% to 95% it`s all a mush on the film, I can`t really tell the difference between 85%, 90 % and 95% might as well be all 100%. What might be the reason for that? Maybe too much ink laid down on the film?

It sounds like too much ink to me; I'm not familiar with the Wasatch RIP, is it all black? If so, try single channel. Also, check your ink droplet size and resolution on the printer. Both of our film printers (Epson) run at a droplet size of 13, and 720 x 1440 resolution. Halftones are clean at 50 LPI, we rarely go higher than that here...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 04:04:32 PM »
Linearization?  Have you linearized the tonal output on your 4880?  You will need a transmissive densitometer.  For anyone here that would like to know what tonal values you  have on your film, you can output a tonal ramp from 1,2,5,10,15, 20,30,40,50,60,70,80,85,90,95,98,99% at the halftone count you use and the angle that you use on the film you use.  Send it to Murakami along with contact information and I will give you a call to tell you what you are actually outputting tonal percentage wise.  With Wasatch we can then enter this and Wasatch will curve the output so that you get true tonal readings on your film.  I need a 1/2" square of each tonal value.  Typically the unlinearized tonal value on film is +10-20%.  So a 50% is actually 70 and at 80-85 it goes solid black.  With linearization we can get more of the upper tonal values as well as precise lower tonal values that prevent a noticable end point.  Also in Wasatch there an interesting feature that lets you combine halftones and stochastic dots.  Stochastic dot below 10-15% is random and won't sawtooth or form moire as easily.  Wasatch also has the tonal ramp target I describe above in the linearization section that you can use to print out.

Once the film is linearized there is still dot gain during the print.  Wasatch has two curve functions, one for film and the next for the press.  The same ramp can be imaged and then printed.  Note that this second linearization is shirt specific.  You will get better results on a high singles shirt with a tight weave vs an inexpensive light weight white promo shirt.  the fabric, the baseplate all affect the tonals printed.  So this is a subjective area where you can adjust the print curve if you want, or not.  The second press linearization can sometimes print too light on a black shirt, yet be crisp and sharp on a white shirt.  So it is possible to have multiple second linearizations for various print types, and it can be determined with a relfective densitometer or just using your eye to control dot gain.  Linearization is simply a way to control dot gain with the rip.

Murakami
745 Monterey Pass Road
Monterey Park, CA

Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!