Author Topic: Has anyone cut the cord?  (Read 7242 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Has anyone cut the cord?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
We cut the cord a couple years back.  I really don't like paying for a ton of TV we aren't interested in.

Between Netflix, Amazon Prime and Kodi, you can get just about everything.  For local stuff we bought a $30 HD Antenna.  That thing works great.  I might upgrade it to a better one just to get a few more channels.  Sometimes it's hard to pick up one station that has good TV.  I get all the standards though, and the picture is amazing.

On Kodi, SportsDevil has the best sports.  It can be hit or miss, but honestly, I don't watch much sports anyway.

Online Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
I would love to but we live in a rural area.  The closest networks are 115 miles away so I don't think the antenna would do us any good.  We would be stuck with netflix, etc.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 09:29:38 AM »
im am currently in the process of switching. going with the playstation vue service. you can run it off of apple tvs or amazon fire boxes. i have one of each fortunately. you get all the local sports and pretty much anything else i want. the only channel its missing is History or anything owned by A&E. but you can buy those stand alone for 4.99 per month if you want on their own app. truthfully the only thing ever on is disney and nickelodeon most of the time in my house though!

Offline printguy

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
Just switched to sling for 20.00 a month - deal included a roku stick. They were out of the stick & they upgraded us to the small box at no extra charge.

Picked-up a decent HD antenna to get the local stuff. Picture is at 1040 and there is no buffering. So far, so good & saving some hard earned coin.

Offline Croft

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
a few years ago here ,we live on the rim of the great lakes bowl, so I put the old antenna that was on our house to use with a booster we get approx. 24 HD channels all the major US networks out of Buffalo plus all the Canadian ones. We also have NETFLIX but may switch to
AMAZON Prime soon. 
Funny story my 11 year old son came down on a saturday morning, I told hi how in the olden days :) we used to watch cartoons on sat. morning, so he gave it a try, his only coment after doing so was there are too many commercials LOL so back to netflix.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
Hey, do you guys know where I can get bootleg software too?

Just sayin.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
No cord here. And very little in the way of workarounds. It's DVDs & youtube for stuff for the kids; But most free time goes toward other things: parks, river, beach, zoo, family time, friends (we try to hang out with other humans at least once or twice a week), date night out, bike, walks, house maintenance, building stuff for the shop, internet research/reading, and... books. There's so much to DO once you get out of the habit of supplied entertainment! (I know, I know, sacrilege for some people, but there's my 2 cents.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:21:13 AM by Prince Art »
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »
I agree, we try and limit screen time for our family.  We do Friday night movie night and we alternate who picks.  It's a fun little thing we do.

Outside of that our kids can go 2-3 days without television or tablets.  We built out a playroom in the basement and they play very well together, so why interrupt that.

I am honestly looking forward to getting a boat.  My daughter is a good age to start fishing and our middle isn't far behind.  My favorite memories are fishing and camping with my dad.  And honestly shore fishing gets really old,even in our neighborhood lake.  Too many snakes on the shoreline.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
  Only get cable for "trial periods when my grandson stays for summer break.
No internet at home, work only. We use a cheapo cable box and get all we need
on the tube plus we go to the local library a few blocks away and get 15 or so
movies a week. They might be a year old but free and there are always some great
classics to watch.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
I have had ROKU Boxes with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime for several years. No Cable for about 25 years, but to be fair, we didn't watch TV at all for  the first 20 of that.

It's only since the kids have been gone that we've even allowed that demonic time suck back in our lives.

We do like to watch a ball game now and then, so I'd like to add the Sling subscription. I heard it takes ages to begin to display, so have held off.

I also pay for Mark Levin TV (renamed recently to CRTV), but for as little as we watch anything, I'm not sure we oughta have all those subscriptions.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
Can't get the wife off cable, too many conveniences that she loves, so, that's that. However, I got a Fire TV stick last year, and kind of enjoy it, but it really just another ton of crap that I wouldn't watch anyway, just like cable. Just put a new 4K 55" up in my living room, with built in apps, and I use more to watch music vids on YouTube than anything else... however, if I were single, I would probably go that route, with an antenna for the local stations (I'm halfway between Boston and Providence, plenty to choose from) and Hulu and Netflix...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline BlueMoonMatt

• Production Manager at Blue Moon
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
I'm also using the Playstation vue service for cable. I pay $37.00 a month and get around 75 channels. You can use it without a playstation. Just get a roku or firestick.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
I'm also using the Playstation vue service for cable. I pay $37.00 a month and get around 75 channels. You can use it without a playstation. Just get a roku or firestick.

I tried out Playstation Vue - I liked it for the most part but didn't go with it.  FYI Firesticks will not display the highest resolution.  Chromecast, a Playstation, a Roku are some of the best options there.  The one thing I didn't like was I wanted it for hockey and when watching it, it would skip back a couple seconds pretty often.  Just wasn't smooth enough for sports yet.  I did like the automatic DVR setup and it was pretty easy to use - I would use my phone / tablet and Chromecast it.

I just do Netflix / HBO Go / Antenna can be plugged in when live TV is needed for a game.

I despise watching commercials - it makes up 25% of TV - when I did have cable I would DVR everything - or 2 things at once and pause one and go to the other and skip the commercials with a 30 sec skip I programmed.

If I'm going to waste time watching stuff it's going to be as efficient as possible.

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:03:14 PM by Robert Clark »
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline BlueMoonMatt

• Production Manager at Blue Moon
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »

I tried out Playstation Vue - I liked it for the most part but didn't go with it.  FYI Firesticks will not display the highest resolution.  Chromecast, a Playstation, a Roku are some of the best options there.  The one thing I didn't like was I wanted it for hockey and when watching it, it would skip back a couple seconds pretty often.  Just wasn't smooth enough for sports yet.  I did like the automatic DVR setup and it was pretty easy to use - I would use my phone / tablet and Chromecast it.

I just do Netflix / HBO Go / Antenna can be plugged in when live TV is needed for a game.

I despise watching commercials - it makes up 25% of TV - when I did have cable I would DVR everything - or 2 things at once and pause one and go to the other and skip the commercials with a 30 sec skip I programmed.

If I'm going to waste time watching stuff it's going to be as efficient as possible.

I was having some issues as well. I got a new router and it works perfect now. The resolution isn't the best though.