Author Topic: What makes more sense?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline dburgessjr

• Verified/Junior
  • It's all about MƎ
What makes more sense?
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
Our embroidery department has been down for the past week due to a computer crash.
Right now we are using about 5 year old digitizing software but our security key was an old parallel port key.  Most newer computers now-a-days do not come with a parallel port so I had to upgrade to a USB key;  this cost me 250$.

My problem now is, I'm having an issue installing our digitizing software on a Windows 7 system.
Does it make more sense, to purchase an older computer at about 200$ to run the older software or purchase the updated software at about 750$? 
Getting the old computer today will get me back rolling again sooner as I probably wont get the updated software for a few more days?

What would you guys do?  I am very budget tight right now but in case of necessity, I'm prepared to do what is going to be best for the business.

Thanks.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What makes more sense?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
I would get the older computer to use for now and keep it around for a backup after I,ve got the other fixed.  Nothing like having a backup in a pinch.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
I would download a free viewer on your computer and then outsource your digitizing for a set amount of time and save up for the 750 and do it right...

just my .00001 cents

sam

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
You can buy used XP systems for $99.  A lot of places do this for RIP stations and such.  Our server runs out RIP since its the only computer that can run the program anymore.  I am not giving up our RIP, it's sweet as heck.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
Couple thoughts.

You could have bought a parallel port adapter cheap.

You can buy a XP disk and install it on the same computer with win7 as a multi operating system. Not hard to do at all.
"No man is an island"

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »
As long as it's not too intensive of a program you can probably get a box that'll run
it for $50 or less. Maybe that's just around here though, the armpit of the Silicon Valley.

Upgrading software just because you have a new OS that won't run it doesn't make sense
to me. Hell, I'm still on XP, and would even be on 2000 Pro if I could.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
I still have an old 98 system that runs my rip use it more than the new stuff new to me is still running XP, 7 just not happen here with me yet.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
I have 7 on 2 computers, server 2003 on the server and then another 2 systems with XP.  1 of those 2 will get updated, I just don't know when.

Offline dburgessjr

• Verified/Junior
  • It's all about MƎ
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  Not knowing it though, there were other issues that I was not aware of at that time.
I did take the advise and purchased an older XP system, rather then the updated software, but the older software still wasn't installing.  Anytime I tried to install the software on an XP machine, the CD bay would just spin and pretty much lock up the system.  After talking with a Hirsch Rep for about 2 hours on and off, they determined that my CD was bad.

So we were down for 1 week and within an hour of talking to a Pulse Rep, I was told that my version of the software was available to download from the Pulse website.  I also wasn't aware that they had a very watered down version of their software that can be ran from the website.  It was limited to pretty much opening files and re-saving them.  Even if I had know that a week ago, it would have helped see and most of my work was reorders.

So thanks again, I've learned a lot of lessons this past week.  Hopefully now, I wont make them again!

Offline squeezee

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
- don't usually work with dongles?
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline dburgessjr

• Verified/Junior
  • It's all about MƎ
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
- don't usually work with dongles?

I tried finding something similar to this, from Radio Shack,  but it turned out that the Parallel Port side of the adapter was the wrong fit.
Its old technology that I planned out upgrading at some point.  Except my hand felt forced this time.  Maybe it was for a good reason though, the newer software looks sweet and I've very excited to upgrade in the near future.