screen printing > Screen Making

Polyken Tape

<< < (2/3) > >>

TH Apparel:

--- Quote from: im_mcguire on January 11, 2017, 10:51:00 PM ---Is it me, or is this essentially gaffers tape? I've found gaffers tape locally at a theatre supply for around $13 per roll... but I'm not sure they are the same.

--- End quote ---

gaffers tape works.  We have some on our frames now.  Better than some of the other tapes we've tried.
Gorilla tape works great if you're like us and don't retension as often as you should.  cost is about 8.50/roll for 35 yards.

Nation03:

--- Quote from: TH Apparel on January 12, 2017, 07:58:17 AM ---
--- Quote from: im_mcguire on January 11, 2017, 10:51:00 PM ---Is it me, or is this essentially gaffers tape? I've found gaffers tape locally at a theatre supply for around $13 per roll... but I'm not sure they are the same.

--- End quote ---

gaffers tape works.  We have some on our frames now.  Better than some of the other tapes we've tried.
Gorilla tape works great if you're like us and don't retension as often as you should.  cost is about 8.50/roll for 35 yards.

--- End quote ---

Do those leave adhesive when pealed off? I like the Polyken stuff but it sure is pricy. But I guess considering the size of the roll, it isn't terrible.

im_mcguire:

--- Quote from: Nation03 on January 12, 2017, 10:59:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: TH Apparel on January 12, 2017, 07:58:17 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Do those leave adhesive when pealed off? I like the Polyken stuff but it sure is pricy. But I guess considering the size of the roll, it isn't terrible.

--- End quote ---

Gaffers tape leaves no residue.  It is pretty great stuff.

Evo:

--- Quote from: im_mcguire on January 12, 2017, 11:20:39 AM ---

Gaffers tape leaves no residue.  It is pretty great stuff.

--- End quote ---

Like any tape, that depends on which one you get. There are many, MANY brands and formulas of gaff tape.

The best "permanent" tape I've used is the 3" gorilla tape in white or black. Get the screens up to final tension then apply. It will easily last for the life of the mesh and survives dip tank soakings. Gaff tape if left on long enough will degrade and fall off from solvents and cleaners.

ebscreen:
Rise from the grave.

We switched to Gorilla Tape ~6 months ago as getting the correct Polyken product in was annoying at best.
All was well, it's durable and survives reclaim. But.....

It leaves a gnarly adhesive that makes re-stretching a nightmare. All up in the channels, can't get the locking strips out
or back in, and softening corners? Forget about it. The kids are not happy. Not happy at all.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for removing the adhesive, aside from the obvious?
I'm not a big fan of strong solvents in the shop when a better or different product will work.
What I'm hoping (dreaming) of ideally is something we can put in a dip tank, soak for a week, and then pressure wash off.
We have quite a few of these already, and a growing number over the next year or more.

Switching back to Polyken.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version