Author Topic: How To Let A Gray Background Image Partly Show Through A Navy Blue Overprint?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Two spot colors, Gray and Navy. I usually just "knock out" the background item(s) and butt register the foreground element in the openings. But we want to let the background image show through just a little.

I've seen this on the forum already. It is just hard to word the search, and I can't remember the different approaches.

I had intended using a plastisol approach just basing down the foreground Navy Blue overprint with curable reducer, letting the gray show through.

I'm worried about consistency print to print, plus my navy blue is soooooo opaque out right of the bucket I'm not even sure where to start.

Maybe waterbased is a better choice.

These shirts are a light gray, raglan sleeved, baseball style shirt. The Navy blue overprint can be a fairly subtle element.

I'm sure the answer is easy and maybe even ridiculously simple for some of you here.

Thanks!
Stan

Offline Prince Art

Haven't done this personally, but what if you started with process cyan instead of stock navy, and mixed in navy or black, so you're working with a more or less translucent ink? Then print it through a higher mesh.

That's just a quick & dirty, first-thing-I-think-of sort of idea. I remember seeing good examples of translucent overprints here, too, so maybe someone can give you the right way to do it.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
lots of base, not so much color, test it...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't