Author Topic: Single Piece orders  (Read 2963 times)

Offline farmboygraphics

Single Piece orders
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:40:06 AM »
For most of the year we turn down all single piece orders, but during the holidays we're asked for them daily and try to keep local customers happy. It always reminds me of why we don't do them the rest of the year. 75% are easy, it's the other 25% that make the holidays not so bright. How do the rest of you , that do them, handle the orders? Side note: we either cut heat apply or print digital heat apply.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Single Piece orders
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:54:07 AM »
For most of the year we turn down all single piece orders, but during the holidays we're asked for them daily and try to keep local customers happy. It always reminds me of why we don't do them the rest of the year. 75% are easy, it's the other 25% that make the holidays not so bright. How do the rest of you , that do them, handle the orders? Side note: we either cut heat apply or print digital heat apply.

Step one was determining what price makes these jobs worth my time. I then make the shirt, and say thank you.
Step one may make this job less appropriate for some folk's business model than others.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Admiral

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:49:36 AM »

We use Inksoft (and digitally print) small orders.  If they persist and want to go through us (have trouble with Inksoft / need artwork done), they can, it just costs more.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
We have an order now full color front and one color back for 19 pc's and you know they want them cheap LOL  good luck on those one pc jobs ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
I do 1-piece orders as favors for friends & existing customers, and do it very rarely. I make it clear that, "No, we don't normally do that. But for you, this time... okay. Because I like you." I charge a little better than covering material costs, but not all the time involved. (Pressing time, maybe; Phone calls, art, etc., no.) We'd have to be set up very differently for this to be profitable.

When I do this, it's either 1-color, usually ganged with something else; or it's dye sub.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
they're basically a loss if you have to spend any time with this person on phone or email, which invariably you will have to. our DTG is basically for runs that require sim process but low quantity and a sample making machine
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
they're basically a loss if you have to spend any time with this person on phone or email, which invariably you will have to. our DTG is basically for runs that require sim process but low quantity and a sample making machine

This is where I have trouble fitting DTG into our business. The smaller clients seem to need the most hand-holding. If a job is suitable for SIM then the DTG will be noticeably different in quality won't it?

As soon as we have a customer seeking x50 pieces isn't it more economical for everyone involved to screenprint it? Assuming quick setups on an automatic press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
Step one was determining what price makes these jobs worth my time. I then make the shirt, and say thank you.
Step one may make this job less appropriate for some folk's business model than others.

this right here. 

Also, having equipment and processes that allow for fast turn/setup on jobs like this...  Many of our 1-off customers are larger customers, so as long as it fits with in our profit model (and the customer is willing to pay upwards of $40 for a single 1-color, 1 sided shirt), sure why not, especially if it's during slow season when the staff would be cleaning the press or sweeping the floor anyways.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 01:54:36 PM »
Dye sub on Jerzees 21M. Feels close enough to cotton and they sublimate really well. Pretty much limited to white or light color shirts, but most people that want 1 to 9 shirts seem to want a photograph or something of that nature so I tell them it's white shirts or nothing. The margins are good. I'd like to get into DTG one day to offer any color shirt. I see a lot of abandoned shopping carts on my inksoft store because it doesn't allow people to checkout with orders under 12 pieces. Makes me wonder if DTG and no minimums is the way to go.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »
Dye sub on Jerzees 21M. Feels close enough to cotton and they sublimate really well. Pretty much limited to white or light color shirts, but most people that want 1 to 9 shirts seem to want a photograph or something of that nature so I tell them it's white shirts or nothing. The margins are good. I'd like to get into DTG one day to offer any color shirt. I see a lot of abandoned shopping carts on my inksoft store because it doesn't allow people to checkout with orders under 12 pieces. Makes me wonder if DTG and no minimums is the way to go.

If one limits themselves to white shirts, the results from today's ink jet transfers can be quite surprisingly astounding! I get nothing but raves. It's not exactly automatic turn key as one needs to learn the color accuracy characteristics of their inks and printers, but I bet that that is the same with any of these other inkjet technologies as well.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »

If one limits themselves to white shirts, the results from today's ink jet transfers can be quite surprisingly astounding! I get nothing but raves. It's not exactly automatic turn key as one needs to learn the color accuracy characteristics of their inks and printers, but I bet that that is the same with any of these other inkjet technologies as well.

Which printer are you running? I've been curious about the Roland BN-20. Looks like a cheaper, easier way to get into doing small runs on any color shirt. From what I hear it's much less maintenance when compared to DTG.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »

Which printer are you running? I've been curious about the Roland BN-20. Looks like a cheaper, easier way to get into doing small runs on any color shirt. From what I hear it's much less maintenance when compared to DTG.

Any major large format printer is capable of producing quality results. Epsons seem to offer the widest availability of aftermarket CISS or refillable carts and inks. Dye based inks are preferable to pigment based for this application. I'm using a relatively inexpensive printer, an Epson WF1100. <$150
This particular model is no longer around, and when it dies I would probably replace it with either a 1430 or gently used 1400.
$300 new, nowhere near the cost of the $8500 Roland you mentioned, but not able to print solvent inks on the same wide variety of vinyl materials either.

Just a note, while the transfers I use on whites (Neenah Jet Pro Soft Stretch) are soft and supple, and leave virtually no hand after the first wash, the opaque materials available for colored shirts are funky, clunky, and patch-like in comparison. Even the ones for the more expensive vinyl print and cuts don't come close for no-hand, with some materials being better than others.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:10:31 PM by Frog »

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
Since posting we've purchased a Virtuoso SG 800 alone with a new George Knight swing away (current press acting up) and mug press. Currently doing dye sub on a handful of colors in G420, not just light colors. Got some triblends coming next week to press and wash. Once I'm sure of what we can do these tees will be displayed up front with pricing. Customers will get a mug with their logo at pickup.
Tees and Coffee