Author Topic: Downdraft table by load/unload station?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline ffokazak

Downdraft table by load/unload station?
« on: December 06, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
Been on my list of things to do for.... an embarrassingly long time...

I want to make a plywood box that has a high CFM fan blowing out the bottom, and some furnace filters / old screen mesh on the top to filter the air by the load/ unload station.  Seems like the most lint created is the flip of the shirt at the load station, and I want my guys to breathe clean air.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, or examples to share, if you've made on before?

Cheers!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Downdraft table by load/unload station?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
Been on my list of things to do for.... an embarrassingly long time...

I want to make a plywood box that has a high CFM fan blowing out the bottom, and some furnace filters / old screen mesh on the top to filter the air by the load/ unload station.  Seems like the most lint created is the flip of the shirt at the load station, and I want my guys to breathe clean air.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, or examples to share, if you've made on before?

Cheers!

Just a flip, of do you have your guys do a real snap as well? That I could see raising a little dust.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
Back when we use spray tack, we put a box fan with a filter over it at an angle under the load station. That helped [slightly] to keep the mist moving away from faces. That's as close as I've personally seen to what you're describing.

I think your idea is headed in a great direction (and kudos for caring about the air your guys breathe). One thing I'd wonder is whether a high powered fan would create strong enough wind to blow/move the shirts during loading... and if not, would it be strong enough to pull lint?
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
It definitely would help, we just purchased a couple of these awhile ago:
http://tekmarltd.com/products/bulk-adhesives/target-av-1/

Figuring out what to do best with the exhaust on this is an issue.  It doesn't get everything but gets quite a bit it only a couple days. 

Other concern with it is long sleeve stuff, you have to make sure it's not in the way with anything.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »
we have a 48" drum fan under the load unload station and a couple of big ac filters laying on the back of it, fan facing down. Turn it on when we have to use spray tac and it sucks all the overspray down into the filters. M&R tech gave us the idea and it friggin works!!
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 03:23:19 PM »
Yeah I am thinking of a Ridgid "Air Mover" which is a carpet dryer, essentially.

The airflow from that is directly on the ground, and where the press is located we could fire that at the wall, away from the loaders.

The Ridgid has a lifetime warranty ( Handy when it runs 12 hours a day every day ) and it pumps out 1625 CFM.

I was going to build a plywood box ( On Casters for when we do long sleeves ;) and cut out the opening for the air mover, and have a place to drop in the furnace filters on the top. Obviously they would get clogged quick if we have to use spray tack for hoodies, but I also have been saving any ripped mesh and using that over a box fan with an old 23x31 screen propped on it. It is amazing how much lint and crap this basic setup catches even after 100 tees. Thus me wanting to create a higher up, better designed version.

I will update with pics when I build mine, and hopefully can help others build theirs.

Cheers!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
we have a 48" drum fan under the load unload station and a couple of big ac filters laying on the back of it, fan facing down. Turn it on when we have to use spray tac and it sucks all the overspray down into the filters. M&R tech gave us the idea and it friggin works!!

Nailed it.

Ive  used 2 24's in a rectangle box that fits under and closer to the pallet.

the furnace filters are what really do the work or removing lint from tue shop. place them on box fans on shelfs on the wall above your head. change them often and buy them by the case load on alibaba.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services